Murray blowing black smoke

frrich

Forum Newbie
Threads
When i start to move the mower it starts sputtering and blowing black smoke. I've changed fuel, diaphragm, spark plug, and reset the coil. Need something else to look at. Thanks. PS It's a briggs 09T602 / 5019/ B1 The carb is one of the plastic with no adjustment. thanks

Last edited:

Mikel1

Threads
Did you replace air filter? Is choke working properly?

Mikel1

Threads
I take it you have cleaned carb?

frrich

Forum Newbie
Threads
I take it you have cleaned carb?

Yes when I got the mower it had a scum in the tank cleaned it out, changed spark plug and mowed the yard ran fine. Two weeks later start mower every time I move the mower it starts to load up, changed diaphragm, changed gas, changed plug again, to no avail. ?????? There is no throttle or choke , just primer ball. I'm lost there is not that much that can go wrong. Air filter is clean, without airfilter the motor still wants to load up when you rev it up.

Mikel1

Threads
The primer bulb can be used to give more fuel on startup and I see a throttle shaft & plate on diagram. I'm guessing the spark is good. The carb is delivering too much fuel, you could try cleaning carb again, ultrasonic would be best. You also have the option of replacing carb for around $25- $30. I would make sure fuel tank was really clean if you go this route.

frrich

Forum Newbie
Threads
The primer bulb can be used to give more fuel on startup and I see a throttle shaft & plate on diagram. I'm guessing the spark is good. The carb is delivering too much fuel, you could try cleaning carb again, ultrasonic would be best. You also have the option of replacing carb for around $25- $30. I would make sure fuel tank was really clean if you go this route.
Thanks Mike I will try that tomorrow, don't want to get into to much, these mowers are only a bill new.

MRCo.

Threads
Bypass on needle / seat giving too much flow?

frrich

Forum Newbie
Threads
Bypass on needle / seat giving too much flow?
Ok Where is it and how do I fix it? Is it repairable?? Thanks Doesn't seem to be any removable parts to the carb.

Mower Doctor 78006

Threads
Did you thoroughly clean the carb? Did you install the diaphragms correctly?? Diaphragm to gas-tank, gasket on top? Was gastank cleaned completely? There's no needle and seat adjustment. is the oil over filled? That would cause black smoke. Is the crankcase is building to much pressure? Also check the flywheel key. The engine could have fuel deposits inside causing it to miss fire.