Murray 30" MER no spark

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
No spark with kill wire unhooked = new coil time.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Upside down coil would still spark. Just not at the right time

hdsport

Threads
Seems to have plenty of compression with good pressure at the spark plug hole. Guess I'll replace all safety switches again. Will take a few days as I'll have to order them since my truck is broke down as well.
Safety switches are easy to test. You can bench test them for off/on continuity.
Also, you can just bypass them and check for spark.
You have already replaced them once, so you could bench test the originals.

Keep us advised as you test your options.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
Do you have a multimeter? Check for voltage on the kill wire in the Off,On and Start key positions. Any voltage on that wire will fry a coil faster than a teenage burger flipper frying food.
A 12V test light will do as well.

hdsport

Threads
Do you have a multimeter? Check for voltage on the kill wire in the Off,On and Start key positions. Any voltage on that wire will fry a coil faster than a teenage burger flipper frying food.
Ditto, MUST check this before anything else.

Threads
A 12V test light will do Kill wire isolated from coil

Kill wire isolated from coil shows 27V irrespective of key position.

Threads
The only thing left in the circuit is the solenoid. All safety switches, key switch, and stator disconnected. 26.8V specifically with red meter wire to positive battery terminal and black meter wire to kill wire.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I am not familiar with that particular mower but usually the kill wire is a ground wire as it grounds the coil so no spark is generated
As such it should be either open circuit to both sides of the battery with engine on and closed circuit to the negative side of the battery in the off position.
There should never be voltage on the wire.
And unless you have a funny battery you should never see voltages higher than 14V
Are you sure you are reading the meter correctly ?
Auto ranging meters could be reading kV , V or mV