Murray 145/102 Sentinel 42" queries

Murrayman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all!
Nice forum we've got going here. I've been the owner of this old mower for 6 months now and have done a bit of work here n there, but have a few questions, really good to be able to ask them here!

1. Mine is lever driven (vs accelerato driven) and sometimes a bit stiff when selecting speed: Is there an oil point anywhere? And does the rear diff require oiling? (I've only ever oiled the brake lever and wheels, can't spot any other points to oil)

2. I don't have a manual for it, but it's developed a problem (only after replacing blades with new, same size exact replacements funnily enough..) where the cut leaves a small strip of uncut grass between the middle of both blades. I've removed the blades and resharpened, readjusted multiple times without glory. Is it true that the lowest point in the height adjuster for the deck is the level point? So place the adjuster lever at lowest point, adjust the rear two height adjusters and away I go? This may be the problem cause the deck seems quite a bit lower at front than back and I cannot see any way to adjust the front as it just hangs on a metal clip without any adjusters that I can spot.

3. I changed the oil in it once (6 months ago) when I first aquired it, and have mowed approximately 20 times for 2 hours per time, when should I change the oil? I've heard every 20 hours mow time, is this about right? It does not have an oil filter. I topped it up to F not long ago and it hasn't moved since.

4. My main crankshaft pulley (the largest one right at the back that comes off the rear diff where the drivebelt hangs onto) wobbles. I've tried to pull this off, removed the circlip that holds it on but it will only move a little bit and won't go any firther. I see theres some sort of woodruffe key that looks to be smaller than the pulley's groove so one of them looks worn. What should I do here? Anyone know the parts I require? Or should I just weld it? It burns out belts much faster than they should.

5. Also, If I brake while running the mower BEFORE I select a gear, the drive pulley comes off.. And I have to pull the battery out to put it back on. But If I'm in reverse first or drive and THEN brake it's ok. What might be going on here? Never happens when I'm mowing.

Thanks guys!

Murrayman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the PM, I've gone to the place you suggested and it has answered the majority of my questions.

The biggest mistake I was making is assuming one washer goes above and one below the blades.. They both go below and the blade fits perfectly into a slot mounted on the mandrel.

Murrayman

Forum Newbie
Threads
Oh, and also: My ride on has never had any wheels on the deck and it gets beat up: Do ALL Murray models have wheels? I've tried looking for where they might mount but never could see. There are a couple of square holes on either side of the deck where a wherel bracket mount could have gone?