Mulching kit from Lowes, WTF!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
Why the thumbs down?
You ride also and you know what it means.

Here in NY we don't know what it means, we are way to perfect. :cool: As a fact if Rivets wouldn't of said something in number 2 post I wouldn't of given it a second thought. Yes I go on the motorcycle forums also. Sorry just couldn't let it go, just wanted a little fun with it.

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Here in NY we don't know what it means, we are way to perfect. :cool: As a fact if Rivets wouldn't of said something in number 2 post I wouldn't of given it a second thought. Yes I go on the motorcycle forums also. Sorry just couldn't let it go, just wanted a little fun with it.

Only time I have to ride now is at night.
It's kinda nice

turbofiat124

Threads
I didn't know this thread was going to last as long as it did! My apologies for the acronym.

I ended up finding the correct cover for my Troy Bilt. I guess what prompted me was here lately I've been frustrated at getting the correct parts for several things. One being a dryer timer. I ordered a new timer based on the model number. The dryer works in every regard but the timer won't count down! I can set it to 70 seconds and it won't move. I'm not sure what's up with that.

I've got a '98 Chevy van and was running a 110 volt wood chipper off a 1500 watt inverter connected to the battery. I got the bright idea to let the engine idle so it wouldn't run the battery down. Well the next day I noticed the battery light was on and my voltmeter gauge showed 12 volts. My guess was the inverter was causing the alternator to work harder so it fried it. This may have not happened if the alternator was not 18 years old and had 140,000 miles on it.

I have run this same inverter off my '06 Ford Explorer. Except in this case I did not run the engine. I was using a palm sander on my mailbox post 700 feet from the house.

Anyway to make a long story short, I took me about 2 to 3 three hours just to remove the alternator due to all the dipstick tube brackets for the engine and transmission, extra braces, lack of space, etc. First I got the wrong alternator. My van has a 140 amp alternator and the one I ordered off Advance Auto's website was 95 or something. Maybe it was my fault I had no idea there were three different amp alternators used on this van.

Then since I had the wrong alternator, I also had the wrong serpentine belt.

Second belt was too short. Must have been for a model without air conditioning.

Got a 3rd belt. The guy measured the old belt at something like 96" so it should have been the same length as the old one. But for some reason squealed like a pig!

I installed a new tensioner and idle puller. Belt still squealed. But the van as 140,000 miles on it so it was probably a good idea even if both items were replaced at 75,000 miles anyway.

I went to another parts store and this guy suspected the belt was maybe 1/2" too long and the tensioner couldn't make up the difference. He was nice enough to install it out in the parking lot for me.

Problem solved. 2 alternators and four belts, I had the van ready for the beach.

If I had, had the correct parts to begin with, this 12 hour project may have taken me only 4 to 6 hours.

Don't you just hate getting the wrong parts....

Pumper54

Threads
turbofiat124

Glad to see you got the original issue fixed. Been there done that on the other stuff. I use Repair Clinic's website for appliance repair and have had great results on my washer and dryer fixes. As for car parts if able I take the "bad" part directly to the auto parts store and say "match it". Sometimes you get someone who knows what there are doing and is not just a "let me look on the computer" person.

Glad to hear you got the van running again.
Tom