Mulching Kit for my new mower

ncgrasscutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just purchased a Toro Timecutter MX 5050. It will be delivered on Saturday . My question is, do you think the mulching kit is worth the investment ? My dealer has kinda talked me out of it saying less than 5% of his residential customers purchase them. I would like to hear what other people think...thanks

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would not pay the extra for the kit.
I run mulching blade and side discharge.

With the mulching kit on the deck. You will have problems cutting grass that even a little wet.

Threads
I would not pay the extra for the kit.
I run mulching blade and side discharge.

With the mulching kit on the deck. You will have problems cutting grass that even a little wet.

I'm just gonna chime in, Carscw do you recommend Gator Blades (when you say "mulching blades") instead of a mulch kit if he is going to be mulching the grass?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I'm just gonna chime in, Carscw do you recommend Gator Blades (when you say "mulching blades") instead of a mulch kit if he is going to be mulching the grass?

No not on this mower.
But he could use the cheaper Arnold Extreme blades.
If he is going to be cutting his grass every week and when it is dry then the mulch kit is fine.

I would just run toro mulching blades.
The deck on this mower loves to just dump the grass out the shoot rather then throw it.

ncgrasscutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
No not on this mower.
But he could use the cheaper Arnold Extreme blades.
If he is going to be cutting his grass every week and when it is dry then the mulch kit is fine.

I would just run toro mulching blades.
The deck on this mower loves to just dump the grass out the shoot rather then throw it.

Thanks for the input. I will hold off on the mulching kit. Are you saying there is not enough blade speed to spread the grass out of the shoot? I have yet to read any reviews on this 2015 model

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks for the input. I will hold off on the mulching kit. Are you saying there is not enough blade speed to spread the grass out of the shoot? I have yet to read any reviews on this 2015 model

The blade speed is fine.
It's the way they make the decks for the timecutters.
But I do feel they are good mowers and worth the money.

Have not looked into the 2015 models.

I have tried to get toro to change this but for some reason they listen to me.

ncgrasscutter

Forum Newbie
Threads
The blade speed is fine.
It's the way they make the decks for the timecutters.
But I do feel they are good mowers and worth the money.

Have not looked into the 2015 models.

I have tried to get toro to change this but for some reason they listen to me.

Carscw,
thanks again for your replies. I do have another question, why did you recommend the cheaper mulching blades vs the Gator blades?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Carscw, thanks again for your replies. I do have another question, why did you recommend the cheaper mulching blades vs the Gator blades?

They are not so heavy. Or thick.
Will not bog the engine down as much.