Muffler

Your engine was designed to run with a muffler with some back pressure so one thing you will lose is power. I am not sure but it seems like you could burn or warp your exhaust valves for another thing. Why do you want to run it without a muffler.
 
Man next door cuts grass at 6am want to cut mine at 1am to wake him up

Wish I could be there when you do! :laughing: Let the games begin! :laughing:

Have you asked him if he wouldn't mind starting later in the mourning? He may not have a clue!
 
It sounds very immature on both sides of the fence to me. I had the same problem when the school bus blew it's horn every morning for the neighbors children. I called the school and it stoped. I sure don't know what will work with your neighbor? Maybe talk with them? What you want to do will only start a war.
 
To get back to the original question about running without a muffler: in some cases, the muffler is necessary as a heat sink. Air-cooled, four-stroke engines are prone to hot spots around the exhaust valve(s) -- attaching a metal thing (manifold, exhaust pipe, muffler) near the valve helps to keep it cool.
 
To get back to the original question about running without a muffler: in some cases, the muffler is necessary as a heat sink. Air-cooled, four-stroke engines are prone to hot spots around the exhaust valve(s) -- attaching a metal thing (manifold, exhaust pipe, muffler) near the valve helps to keep it cool.
Perhaps , in addition to that, it prevents the exhaust valve from getting shock-cooled with a slug of air @ambient temperature. I'm glad I don't have the OP and his neighbor as my neighbors when it comes time to choose lawnmowing time.:eek:
 
Back
Top