MTD Yard Machines - Blades won't disengage.

dr mowers

Forum Newbie
Threads
On some lawn tractors I have had to replace the idler arm bracket because the deck wears a spot down on it. You'll need to remove the spring and take the pulley off to get down to the bracket itself to inspect it for wear. Usually you have to put a wrench under the pulley while you loosen the pulley nut with another wrench or socket. Good luck and keep us posted.

The idler arm get to notches worn in it where the blade brakes rub constantly. if you take the arm off and inspect it you will probably see the 2 notches. if you have a good metal file and some time, file the areas with notches into smooth rounded edges so the brake arms can slide easily across them. reassemble and your problem should be fixed.

LMYM46

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm having the same issue with my 2008 yard machine 13rl771029. I know there are springs missing on the right side of the deck by the brakes but question remains will those springs disengaged the bracket?. If the blades are in the off position they will engage if I were to move the pto in the ON position but will not disengage. I bought the mower for $50 from this guy several years ago since then I repair steering, fuel lines, battery bracket, wire harness(burn by solenoid), replace all tires, clean and repainted the mower and deck. Now, this issue with the PTO cable not disengage is becoming a problem. Can anyone help me out? I'm thinking it could either be springs(which I order today) or the bracket.

Last edited: