MTD tiller won't start

pmgnut

Threads
Hi all, I have an older MTD yardman rototiller with a B&S model 135202 engine. Cannot get it to start, not even close. It will run for a few seconds if i spray carb cleaner or starting fluid into the carb but then quits. It has one of those carbs that mount on top of the gas tank, with a pickup tube going into the tank. So far here is what I did:

Changed spark plug { its getting a nice spark}
Pumped old gas { was a nice milky color, as it sat outside all winter} out of tank, put in fresh gas
Removed carb from tank, cleaned screen at bottom of pickup tube, can blow air thru tube and out carb opening.Sprayed carb cleaner in all holes & openings.
Diaphragm looks ok, { I don't see any holes or tears}

So when I pull the rope, it doesn't even sound like it wants to start. Compression reads at 60 psi. I'm stumped!!

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Milky color means water, and where the carb sits on the tank, is also a cup/bowl that gets rusted out, and gets rust holes in it where it can't hold any gas. That may be much of your problem.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
If it starts and will run on fuel/cleaner shot in the carb throat, then you know that it is a fuel problem. Compression readings are useless on most small engines, because of some form of compression release is usually used.

pmgnut

Threads
I did see that cup, there was rusty liquid in it so i removed it all. Now you've triggered my memory, when i screwed the carb back onto the tank, i did not fill that bowl with gas. Left it dry. Should i have filled it? Is there a way to fill it without removing the carb again?

helomech

Threads
I did see that cup, there was rusty liquid in it so i removed it all. Now you've triggered my memory, when i screwed the carb back onto the tank, i did not fill that bowl with gas. Left it dry. Should i have filled it? Is there a way to fill it without removing the carb again?

It should fill itself up.

pmgnut

Threads
what should the diaphragm look like? Its in tact { no holes} but the position its currently in is like its sucked into the backside of the cover plate. Is that normal?

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It should be changed, it is cheap. While that cover is off, blow carb spray into the little holes that the little flappers cover. If that cup is rusty, it may have some rust holes in it.

pmgnut

Threads
Picked up diaphragm, installed it, still no good. Doesnt even sound like it wants to start. I'm stumped, not sure what else there is to check

pmgnut

Threads
Milky color means water, and where the carb sits on the tank, is also a cup/bowl that gets rusted out, and gets rust holes in it where it can't hold any gas. That may be much of your problem.

I just removed the carb again, that bowl is full of fuel and not leaking.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Take off the air filter and dribble some fuel in the carb throat, and then start it. If it runs, then choke it with the choke as it starts to die, and see what happens.