MTD rider mower stalls, but never dies

In humid areas, condensation happens a lot, and most folks recommend keeping the fuel tank full to eliminate the airspace-condensation potential. In the evening, the cool air cools the container, the humidity in the air collects on the side of the tank, and it dribbles down into the tank where it sits at the bottom, it is why all of the older engines had a collector on the fuel filter, or old Tecumseh's had a little drain on the carb bowl, or even old Hondas, to, from time to time, drip the water out and keep mowing, no biggie, it just happens.
 
Here in the UK you have the problem with condensation it seems more often with the plastic tanks, so before you put it away, full it up.
 
man, so many replies- thnaks, people. Yes, I did leave it out in the rain a while ago, but I did have the "hood" closed. Also, I dont store it in a garage, but worse- in an open wood shed, roof only- 3 sides are closed in, one side completely open. Still, we dont know 100% if thats the culprit, so I will drain tank, lines, clean carb, and get new filter. Then, we'll see what happens.

Condensation- good point. You know- but funny thing, this never happened the first say, 10-12 yrs I owned it, if it could be caused by where I store it, why didnt it happen then?
 
Look at any of the bowl's that you are talking about.... They have low spots to collect the moisture.
 
Another update - cleaned out gas tank, didnt appear to be any moistrure, but started mower, ran ruff for 5 minutes, then, maybe cuz waqrmed/hot engine, ran excellent. Hope that did it. It will remain to be seen if this repeats itself, when which, I will have to tackle it again......
 
Back
Top