Repairs MTD PRO

coolerman69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just serviced my MTD PRO 2457 today including changing hydraulic fluid and filter. NOW the mower wont move! What have i done?

Kingwood990

Threads
Sounds like it might be air in the hydraulic lines. You will have to bleed the lines like you would bleed the brakes on a car.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Think Kingwood990 is right ... AIR
Hydraulic pumps and motors do not work well wit air... take the load off the drive wheels (jack it up), and operate the controls with the engine running ... that should clear the system of air... you may have to add more fluid after ... :smile:KennyV
BTW ... I see this is your first post... Welcome to the forum & let us know how it works out...

coolerman69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the answers. I jacked the rear end up yesterday and operated the controls because i too thought it had air in the lines. It tried to turn the wheels at first and then stopped. I loosened the drain plug on both pumps and had fluid there. Should that be sufficient or are there other points to bleed?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
If you get oil to the pump.. it will push any air out... :smile:KennyV

coolerman69

Forum Newbie
Threads
Got to mow today after finally gettin the air out of the system. Next problem is the right wheel doesnt have any power in reverse. Goes forward just fine. I jacked the rear up and it will spin backwards but when on the ground it doesn't want to turn. Had this problem before changing fluid and filter which didn't help. Can a pump go bad in one direction and not the other?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Yes... you didn't happen to notice who made the pumps on that did you? :smile:KennyV

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Hydro-gear 01001544 BDR-306R 9231R1096

I'm not finding a break down of your pump... Yet.
BDR306R = 01001544
I'm sure you have checked that you have full movement on the control input...
I'll check further tomorrow... :smile:KennyV

coolerman69

Forum Newbie
Threads
I'm not finding a break down of your pump... Yet.
BDR306R = 01001544
I'm sure you have checked that you have full movement on the control input...
I'll check further tomorrow... :smile:KennyV
Yeah that was the first thing i checked. It bottoms out at the pump