MTD Owner Check-In --- Read This First!

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have a 98 garden tractor 46 inch cut 20 hp Briggs no hood Hi low trans will climb and hang any hill you are brave enough to try. Just wish it had a better steering set up on my 4th steering shaft. It's like a ride on bush hog

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
i know a guy thats got an 18hp....green one...46" deck...they're great.....a real tractor...can you take pictures?

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I will put some up as I get it back together doing a complete rebuild and paint. Was going to restore a old car but got to thinking would be fun to do this

RickS

Threads
Hi my name is Rick, and I have this Yard Machine By MTD, I am not sure of the year, and the engine is surging, but The guy that wants to sell it only wants $100.00. I think that I may take him up on it

Attachments

• SUNP0004.jpg
    SUNP0004.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would get it. I don't like the deck on this one but it is well worth a $100.
The engine surge should just need a carb cleaning I would just rebuild it.

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its a steal if it runs!.....but the difference between the 46" deck and the standard 42" deck is the deck/blade engage lever is really heavy on the 46" for some reason.....also the blade/deck drop "all in one" lever often results in a chatter on some of them when engaging....even with a kevlar belt.......but i doesnt hurt anything really:thumbsup:

RickS

Threads
Well, I gave him the $100, I rebuilt the Carb, and it is running fine, I put brand new blades on it and since it has been so hot here in Michigan, the grass has not grown, so I cannot test how the mower works.

Is there and adjustment to the position of the Engage lever so that I don't have to pull it back while starting the engine?

Last edited:

reddragon

Lawn Addict
Threads
its a safety switch....the seat and reverse switches you can just pull the wires off to improve things......but the blade/deck switch is more complicated.....usually it has both closed and open circuit switching.....you'll need a multimeter to figure which ones to hook togeter and the ones to leave disconnected.....:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
RickS said:
Well, I gave him the $100, I rebuilt the Carb, and it is running fine, I put brand new blades on it and since it has been so hot here in Michigan, the grass has not grown, so I cannot test how the mower works.

Is there and adjustment to the position of the Engage lever so that I don't havve to pull it back while starting the engine?

You can adjust the switch so it is closer to the lever. Or maybe there is a spring not on

Sent from my iPhone using LMF

RickS

Threads
I don't have the original bulbs, that belong in the head lamps, can anyone tell me if they are a common automotive bulb or not, and what bulb is it?