MTD drive belt slipping off???

Hello everyone out there I have a 1996 MTD 12.5 B&S I replaced the drive belt and seems like every time I put the transmission in gear and left off the clutch it slips off. and if it doesn't slip off right away the first time there is pressure applied to tired its off...any ideas ???
 
Frist of all do you have the right belt. Just because it fits doesn't make it the right belt. Lawn and equipment belts are different from automobile belts. I had to learn this lesson the hard way myself.
 
Ya, I had thought that at first too....It is the right belt, I had to go to Tractor Supply and get the right one....Also it is on the right way just seems like the pulley is not putting enough tension on the belt....When I pull the pulley back it has good strength with the spring but maybe it is not applying enough pressure on the belt ???
 
There are a number of things that can cause the belt to come off the pulleys. I would double check and make sure that it has been installed correctly. I would then check to ensure the bent rods used to retain the belts are situated as required. Pulley wear is also important and as you have already mentioned is spring tension should be checked. I have found in some cases that the idler pivot freezes and does not allow the arm to move correctly.
 
Is there a site that anyone knows of that would show the placement of the bent rods used to retain the belt on the pulley cause I only believe i remember seeing one of them and that may be my issue right there!!! at least I am hoping!!
 
Hello everyone out there I have a 1996 MTD 12.5 B&S I replaced the drive belt and seems like every time I put the transmission in gear and left off the clutch it slips off. and if it doesn't slip off right away the first time there is pressure applied to tired its off...any ideas ???

*********************************************************************
A common problem for a lawn tractor the age of yours is for the idler pulley pivot point, and associated parts of that area, to be worn to the point the idler pulley is misaligned with the other pulleys. With no belt tension on it check for up and down movement of the idler pulley. Sometimes a quarter inch is too much.
 
MTD has a site just put in your model # and you can look at a parts list with pics

Sent from my iPhone using LMF
 
Never thought to think about how much play there was at the pulley tension pivot point....Is it just a bolt that controls the play pulley tensioner?
 
Never thought to think about how much play there was at the pulley tension pivot point....Is it just a bolt that controls the play pulley tensioner?
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The ones I've dealt with have a shouldered bolt through a hole in the deck with a nut on the bottom of the deck. The idler bracket pivots on that bolt and by having spring tension when engaged that hole in the bracket often becomes a worn and egg shaped. No lube for that point on less expensive tractors. The bearing and pulley usually aren't the problem but the bearing can be binding when under load so don't rule that out completely.

Here is a tip. If the back side of the belt runs on the idler, the idler will be a flat bottom. Look at the pulley to see where the belt has been running. That area will be polished and shine. If the belt has been running close to one edge of the pulley rather than close to centered you may have found the problem and that takes us back to improper alignment.
 
I already replied to your other thread in the General Mower discussion, but here is what I said, in case you didn't read it.

"I'd check the belt, and see if it is loose or damaged.

If it is, replace it, and make sure the new one is nice and tight."
 
Back
Top