MTD Briggs and Stratton 18 hp starts but won't stay running

Fishin

Threads
  • / MTD Briggs and Stratton 18 hp starts but won't stay running
I was given a MTD Lawn tractor and I'm trying to get it running. I think it's been sitting up for a while. I've worked on small carburetors before so on this one I'm wondering where the fuel pump is. I poured fuel down the carburetor and presto. It runs great until the fuel runs out so I must have a fuel deprivation/carburetor problem, or so I'm thinking. I changed the fuel filter and used fresh fuel but it does the same. What should I check next? Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
It depends on what engine you have. Find the engine's model numbers, or at least tell us the shape and size of your air filter.

Fishin

Threads
Got it. I sprayed carb. cleaner in the fuel inlet, added fresh fuel and got it going. It appears to be getting better each time I run it. Thanks.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Great!!!

Hopefully the fresh fuel will dissolve all of that old varnish!!!

metz12

Threads
try to run high grade in there too for right now. then go back to the low grade fuel. unless you run it already

Carscw

Lawn Pro
Threads
Put some sea foam in your gas mix the first tank full twice as strong as it says to. It will smoke a little but don't worry.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Fishin

Threads
Put some sea foam in your gas mix the first tank full twice as strong as it says to. It will smoke a little but don't worry.

(( cowboy up and get over it ))

Running it and using fuel aditive really helped. Thanks.

On my recent post,which I can't find, it wouldn't turn over. So many things were intermittent. I repalced soleniod and ignition switch before I was getting 12V to the starter consistantly, so I replaced the starter. Didn't work. I said WTF. Took jumper cables to make a new ground form the starter to the battery. I cleaned, yet again, the ground cable connections. Same results. Bought a new ground cable and installed. Hey, Finally! We all know to check the ground connections but I never figured the cable would be bad, as it looked fine. I was getting 12V to the starter everytime, when I turned the ignition switch. New ground cable fixed it. Thanks for all your inputs.