MTD 12.5 HP drove without deck and something went bang

Rossww

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / MTD 12.5 HP drove without deck and something went bang
Hi folks. First post and typical newbie error. I don't have the model number handy. Hopefully the description of the problem might be enough....

There's two front hangers and a spring loaded back plate that the back hangers go through before attaching the back of the deck. I had the deck off and didn't secure the back plate to the hangers. I took it for a small test drive after I made the repairs and I guess the plate dragged in the grass and then, "bang". The spring that pulls the plate towards the back of the machine became disconnected and finally fell to the grass. I don't know how to reconnect it. There's a bolt that is roughly in the center of the plate that the spring looks like it could attach to (otherwise it has no purpose) but I don't know where the other end of the spring goes.

Thanks,

Ross

fastback4

Threads
  • / MTD 12.5 HP drove without deck and something went bang
We need more information. What type and model is the mower. How wide is the cutting deck. How old is the mower. Pictures work really well here. My guess is a deck hanger or bracket caught in the drive belt, stretched the spring to far and "BanG". In the future, give more details in the title to help others with searching for answers to their similar problems.....Tom