Mowers for Small Lawnmowing Business

maxcalvada

Threads
I have mostly city clients with small lots - and a couple church lawns. About 10 clients, some bi-weekly. I have had constant problems with consumer level mowers(only ones I can fit in my car's trunk) - mostly carb issues.

1. I was under the impression I was cleaning the carbs diligently and adding Stabil, but still problems. It was suggested by someone on this forum last year that maybe I wasn't doing enough regular maintenance on these. Any suggestions on what more I could do?

2. Over the winter I purchased a lawn mower attachment for my Snowblower. This was recommended by the man who fixed my snow blower. Only thing is I need to purchase and register a small utility trailer for my car.

Was the poster from last year right? Can I simply get by with consumer mowers if I apply more precise maintenance(all suggestions welcome) or should I get a trailer and use the snowblower w/lawn attachment. A combination of both is also possible.

Thoughts?

redfish9

Threads
There is no such thing as cleaning your air filter to much ,i clean all mine twice a day.When you refuel make sure all dust and dirt is cleaned around the fill cap,one gran of sand can do it.clean clean clean

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
First of all you should start with a good brand name mower. From what you say I would pay about $500. Second, fuel. Only use high octane (93) ethynal FREE gas. The numbers of times you use the mower means there is no reason for Stabil. Third, maintenance, as often as you can. New Air filter every 30 hours, oil change every 50 hours, could be more often if you have dirty or dusty conditions, new plug every 50 hours, blade sharpened when you see a drop ib looks of you job. We have some who sharpen theirs every two weeks. As for a combo blower/mower, forget about it.

Threads
I'm not a business owner but I have taken My mower in the trunk of my car to help someone out and when I get back home the mower doesnt run very good for a while, so maybe all that handling makes them go bad ???:confused2: You really need a trailer.

jakewells

Threads
Anything with a Honda as long as you maintain it regularly it should last. :thumbsup: