Mower Won't Start After Replacing Oil Sump and Tipping

Possible but I used the mower twice before I replaced the sump, I just kept refilling the oil. I also made sure by starting it before I replaced sump.

I'll double check the flywheel area and move on to the head and check. Would a flywheel key sheared cause low to no compression?

Thanks for being patient and very informative, it's actually pretty cool working on small engines compared to cars.
 
Replaced flywheel key it was sheared, put some starting fluid and now I'm getting some pressure pulling and it's now continuously popping like it's gonna start. I could see the exhaust firing at night. What could it be, flooding, floater and needle? stuck valve, burnt valve, compression​ leak down test? Sucks because the carb looks new with the float but it's still possible and it's weird since I started the mower before I replaced the sump. Leak down test?
Any other ideas to test?
 
I think I remember now where I screwed up. I forgot to set the cam timing.

When I do this do I need to set TD first or anything or I don't? Can I just check the valve/rocker clearance later?

I think all I need to do is line up the marks and that's it?
 
Not having the timing marks on the camshaft and crankshaft aligned can and will cause the problem you are having
 
Looks like it was timing. I had to use rtv instead cus my new gasket tore when I removed the sump. Should be ok.

Thank you for all your help, can never be more appreciative
 
What would happen with rtv? I even see people use gasket plus rtv both sides with no issues.

I ran the mower for 45 minutes no issues. What do you suggest? Or recommend? Do I leave it alone or put the gasket instead? I used a thin layer of rtv not thick.
 
Thank you very much, I now have a better appreciation for small engine repair in fact I'm fixing another one soon that I got for free
 
Back
Top