mower starts with jump, but not with battery

rigoletto

Threads
People,

MTD 13 HP rider mower, battery shows 12+ volts with meter, but no start. Did some checks with meter , may be even bad solenoid(again, only after 2 years!). But, when jumped with car battery, starter starts. Cant check the density of batt fluid with hydrometer cuz its a no maintenence batt- no caps to pry off. I think solenoid is still good as when I apply voltage to small wire at terminal, and key ON, cliclety click.

Bad batery? (low amps?) ASny way to check batery?

SeniorCitizen

Lawn Addict
Threads
First clean the battery posts and cables both ends until they're bright and try it.

I believe I'm correct in saying battery load testers can be purchased but at much less expense for someone not in the business the battery can be removed and load tested an most automotive supply's.

Mikel1

Threads
Also make sure your connections are tight.
I agree with Senior, easier just to have it load tested at a local auto parts store.

rigoletto

Threads
First clean the battery posts and cables both ends until they're bright and try it.

I believe I'm correct in saying battery load testers can be purchased but at much less expense for someone not in the business the battery can be removed and load tested an most automotive supply's.

thnaks, senior- I didnt know auto parts stores can test a batt. good alternative.

rigoletto

Threads
Also make sure your connections are tight.
I agree with Senior, easier just to have it load tested at a local auto parts store.

got it- gonna drop it of in the morning!

HarryHarley

Threads
I assume you made it to the auto store.
Just curious, how old was your battery?