mower starts fine till I let the cluch out

bigdtbone

Forum Newbie
mower starts fine till I let the cluch out. mower is a murry select 13.5 hp. model # 405000x8c year is 2004. I ohmed out the seat and the deck safety switch they seemed ok . In both switches appeared to have a set of N.O contacts and a set of N.C. contacts .What next ?
 
I found the cluch/break safety switch it to ohms out good too . I have also noticed the the mower will start with no one in the seat but the seat switch is working it ohms out fine . Any ideas on what I should try next ?
 
Last edited:
I found the cluch/break safety switch it to ohms out good too . I have also noticed the the mower will start with no one in the seat but the seat switch is working it ohms out fine . Any ideas on what I should try next ?

Starting without seat being occupied is normal on some tractors as long as the park brake is set and PTO not engaged. You still have at least one safety that's grounding the magneto or bare wire or ignition switch OR - OR - OR .

BTW, those switches that are dual - one set of internal contacts is for the cranking circuit and the other set of contacts is for the safety shut down circuit. You may already know that but possibly someone new to tractors doesn't.
 
Just try unplugging the seat switch and try it first. Looking at the scheme of the pto switch, it doesn't make sense.
 
It says with the pto switch disengaged, then there is no current going to the solenoid when the key is turned to start, so I am guessing that it may be a typo error. It should say pto switch engaged, so for just a test, start the engine, and while it is running, unplug the pto switch and see what happens.
 
I found it !!! The seat plugged into a female connector that had a set of contacts built into it . They was shorted to ground . Thanks for the helped I learned a lot .
 
Back
Top