Mower stalls going up hills

Danoga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi everyone. I have a problem I have been fighting for a while. I have a craftsman I think LT 2000 riding mower. It has a Koehler engine. I had a problem last year with gas in the oil and had the float repaired. No longer an issue. All along, even before the float repair, my engine would die going uphill. This weekend I got a new clue. When the engine died for the first time going up a hill, I went and put fuel in the tank and everything ran great. I noticed that when the tank was about 3/4 full, the problem would start. As soon as I filled the tank full, problem would go away. I have a temporary fix I can live with but this doesn't make sense. I plan on getting a new air filter and plug this weekend but I don't think this is the issue.

The engine starts to stutter as if it is out of gas. I can usually choke it, make it up the hill, and on the down Jill turn the choke off and keep going.

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Either the fuel pump isn't working or the fuel filter is too restrictive and won't let enough fuel through while going uphill because of the extra angle puts the fuel at a relative lower level as compared to the carb position,

Danoga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Either the fuel pump isn't working or the fuel filter is too restrictive and won't let enough fuel through while going uphill because of the extra angle puts the fuel at a relative lower level as compared to the carb position,

No fuel pump. Riddle me this, should the fuel filter be full or half full?

I wonder if the filter is basically tipping backwards with the incline and stopping fuel flow. If so, how can you fix this? It never did this when it was new. I have replaced the fuel filter and heard rumors of problems once yudo this. The fuel filter clips into a clip so I assumed this clip put the fuel filter in the proper location.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No fuel pump? Are you sure? If no pump, your fuel tank will be lower than the carb when going uphill. This will result in no fuel = no go. You will have to mow sideways. What are the model numbers on the engine?

Danoga

Forum Newbie
Threads
No fuel pump? Are you sure? If no pump, your fuel tank will be lower than the carb when going uphill. This will result in no fuel = no go. You will have to mow sideways. What are the model numbers on the engine?

Family-3khxs.4902gb
Disp-490cc
Model no- cv490s
Spec no-27508
Serial no-3307204823
Orem prod no 177745

ILENGINE

Lawn Royalty
Threads
According to the Kohler parts lookup, there is no fuel pump, so that is not the problem. Could it be that the filter is the wrong micron size, causing fuel restriction. If so might also cause problems when the fuel gets real low in the tank, even on flat ground.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Sorry, I stand corrected, there is no fuel pump on that engine. Then as I said before you will have to adjust your cutting so that the fuel tank is always above the engine or you will be starving the engine. Fuel cannot flow uphill.

Danoga

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry, I stand corrected, there is no fuel pump on that engine. Then as I said before you will have to adjust your cutting so that the fuel tank is always above the engine or you will be starving the engine. Fuel cannot flow uphill.

Your statement makes a lot of sense, unfortunately, I have mowed the same yard for about eight years before having issues.

Danoga

Forum Newbie
Threads
According to the Kohler parts lookup, there is no fuel pump, so that is not the problem. Could it be that the filter is the wrong micron size, causing fuel restriction. If so might also cause problems when the fuel gets real low in the tank, even on flat ground.

I have ordered a higher micron filter to try. A post I read suggested to try a 75 micron filter.

taxidermist

Threads
check and see if the fuel line pickup in the tank rotted off.

Rob