Repairs Mower Shutdown won't restart

Nsecula

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looking for some help here, I'm not much of an experienced mechanic more of I can take things off and replace them but not very well tuned into trouble shooting.

Anyway i bought a used Gravely zt1844 been mowing with it for a couple months. Had no problems wit it. Was mowing yesterday started getting a wiff of something hot and then mower just shutdown. Gave Kind of hop and stopped. No sound backfire anything like that that I remember. Thought it might have run out of gas, but it didn't really spit and sputter just went down.

As I was looking in the gas tank the smell of smoke got stronger and began to see some smoke. Flipped up the seat and a good deal of smoke was pouring out. Looked under the mower and it was coming from the electric clutch or pulley but it was coming up from the top of that component.

Not sure what to do it won't start at all now. It blew a fuse which i replaced, the starter clicks and will whine but won't turn the engine at all. Would the clutch lock it down where it won't turn? Would the pto switch maybe have gone bad (the blades were engaged when it shutdown, i pushed the switch off) and that's why it won't turn, or is the motor locked up? Have no idea and direction here would be very helpful.

91c1500

Forum Newbie
Threads
Your starter whines but it may not be spinning up to interlock with the flywheel. Could you possibly get someone to turn it over and see if it's interlocking? Clutches aren't my strongest point so i can't help you with that question. Sorry. I don't think the others would really affect it. Although, the engine might be locked up from lack of oil, did you check it before or even after? I know it's a pretty obvious thing but i've had people blame me for their mower not starting after i worked on it because it ran out of gas...

Could you post a picture of the component that was smoking?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would say that you have burned-out the clutch, so disconnect it from the wiring, charge the battery so that its full again, and see if you can restart the engine.