mower salvage yards in houston

atomic67

Threads
I have a person that sells mowers and parts out of his home. He mentioned that the worked at a salvage yard and that he gets decent mowers all the time. I feel awkward about asking him where he works. Does anyone know of a good salvage yard or recycling center in the Houston area where mowers can be bought?

Its Me

Threads
I would be surprised if you find one, the scrap yards are not like they were years ago, they would let you look around, don't care what you wanted it would show up I started going to one and he got to where he would set the mowers aside, sometimes they were just out of gas, flat tire, I sold parts and mowers for years, had some high dollar parts when people would come they did not want to pay a reasonable price for parts, not all of them but when you got that ass would tell him to leave then he would come back after he price that item then I tell him it not for sale, I still do some salvage and do a lot of mower repairs, most of the time they are riding mowers, that is where the good money is, hope you can find what you looking for but bet they won't let you in where that fellow works.

upupandaway

Threads
There was an 'aspiring' salvage yard back when i was in Chi. I say aspiring because it wasn't an acre but they did have at least 50 mowers alone + other stuff. I could take a whole mower\tiller for $10(rider= $20 and they had a few old Cub Cadets!!) and dump\return what i didn't need when done. I still have the 70's sears tiller i got there- it only needed a condenser.

Goodluck at finding it.

Last edited:

atomic67

Threads
He has a good thing going selling parts and mowers that he gets for almost nothing, but he did mention that his boss/salvage yard owner started to immediately scrap the mowers when he got wind that the employee was making some money on the side. I guess I'll just keep using him as my parts guy. Super friendly and often gives me a couple of free parts

Its Me

Threads
Well look at it as a the owner would see it, he don't pay them to take things apart and sell them for personal gain, they should be doing his work if there is money to be made it should be the owner, the employee is getting paid, I have a 16' trailer full of mowers that is going to the scrap yard, just not in the mood to take them apart, probably will regret if in a few months when I need one of those parts that is going to be hard to get, I think with this virus crap we are going to see that things will be in short supply, back in the day when I would go to the scrap yard they were set aside, like [U]upupandaway[/U] you could get a rider for ten dollars push mower five, I still have two riders from the mid 60's and three Yazoo three wheel mowers.