Export thread

Mower runs for a couple of seconds after starting, then stops

Mbcarter967

Mbcarter967

My mower won’t stay running. I recently did some repairs by replacing the intake manifold and gasket between the breather and the carburetor. My mower ran for a few minutes while I was cutting the grass, but it would try to die every time I squeezed the self-propel lever. I eventually got tired of dealing with that, so I took the carburetor off and cleaned it to try to fix the problem. Now, it won’t stay running. Any idea what could be the problem and how to fix it? Thanks!

logert gogert

logert gogert

Do you have to prime your mower before you stop it?

I

ILENGINE

We would be better able to help you if we knew what engine you have including the model number from the engine. Some engines have a float seat that will swell if exposed to carb cleaner, and some of your symptoms may relate to that happening, since it can slow the flow of fuel into the carb bowl, allowing it to run until the bowl is empty and then has to refill to restart,

Mbcarter967

Mbcarter967

My model is a Briggs and Stratton 123K02. @logert gogert what do you mean prime it before I stop it?

logert gogert

logert gogert

My model is a Briggs and Stratton 123K02. @logert gogert what do you mean prime it before I stop it?
I meant start

logert gogert

logert gogert

Because if you have a mower that you have to prime to start, what a primer usually does is pump a couple squirts of gas into the throat of the carb making it easier to start up.

And since you said that your mower only runs for a bit then shuts off, if it's the type of mower that you have to prime it's probably just running on the fuel that was put into it when priming.

Therefore it would probably be an issue with the carb causing it to not suck up the gas from the tank, more than likely a clogged port as @ILENGINE stated.

Mbcarter967

Mbcarter967

@logert gogert yes, I do have to prime it before I start.

logert gogert

logert gogert

Then the carb is more than likely the issue.

logert gogert

logert gogert

The primer is not the issue, just it's probably the carb that's wrong.

Sorry......just had to make that clear.

R

Rivets

I would be looking at the float level in the carb as IL stated, not the primer. I suggest you remove the carb again and clean it one more time. Replace the float needle and seat and make sure that when you set the float level make sure that it is not higher on the side opposite the float pin, but either level or slightly lower. Primer has nothing to do with it.

logert gogert

logert gogert

I would be looking at the float level in the carb as IL stated, not the primer. I suggest you remove the carb again and clean it one more time. Replace the float needle and seat and make sure that when you set the float level make sure that it is not higher on the side opposite the float pin, but either level or slightly lower. Primer has nothing to do with it.
I never said the primer was the issue

R

Rivets

You were implying that there may be a problem with the priming circuit, because you don’t know how the different circuits of a carb work. Didn’t want the OP to waste time in that area.

logert gogert

logert gogert

You were implying that there may be a problem with the priming circuit, because you don’t know how the different circuits of a carb work. Didn’t want the OP to waste time in that area.
you may have read my reply wrong, i never stated there was something wrong with the primer...

R

Rivets

I replied because there was no reason to talk about the primer.

StarTech

StarTech

Wouldn't hurt to check the fuel bowl retainer screw as it is the main jet and could be clogged.