Mower runs fine until I put a new air filter on, then it dies out. thoughts anyone?

Thomas57

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Mower runs fine until I put a new air filter on, then it dies out. thoughts anyone?
Mower runs fine until I put a new air filter on, then it dies out. thoughts anyone?
Sat for a few years, had the carb cleaned, oil changed etc. Didn't have the a new air filter when
it was worked on, but it was demonstrated to be working. Got a new filter but mower dies, without the filter it starts and runs ok.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
  • / Mower runs fine until I put a new air filter on, then it dies out. thoughts anyone?
Lets start with the model number of the mower as well as the model number of the engine so we can see what setup you are working onl

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Welcome Thomas.
Nothing would make me happier than to help you to get your mower running like a top.
However the Covid - 19 virus have affected my ESP so I can not quite work out which mower & what engine you have.
So telling you to turn the carburettor poppet around so the C lines up with the spray tube might not be much help.

Thomas57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Sorry for the lack of info. New to this forum.
Troy Blit tuff cut 230
Briggs & Stratton 6.75 HP

Also the carb was changed out to one that does not require priming.

Thx

Thomas57

Forum Newbie
Threads
Troy-Bilt Tuff cut 230 6.75 HP
Mower # 549
Engine # 80289 Briggs & Stratton 6.75 HP

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Sorry for the lack of info. New to this forum.
Troy Blit tuff cut 230
Briggs & Stratton 6.75 HP

Also the carb was changed out to one that does not require priming.

Thx
So you went from a primer type carb to one that should have a choke. How is the choke being opened since that would require different hardware to make it work.

dougand3

Threads
You still haven't posted the engine model #....eg: 126M02-1525-F1. Probably on the shroud above the muffler.

Thomas57

Forum Newbie
Threads
So you went from a primer type carb to one that should have a choke. How is the choke being opened since that would require different hardware to make it work.
it was sitting for a few years and would not start. I had someone come to repair it. The cup on the carb was rusted and had a hole on it, and other problems, he took a carb off from another mower he had in his truck (no idea, what type of mower) and changed it out from mine and told me it needed no priming. The filter was dirty, and he said just get a new filter. I did, but as I said when I put the filter on it dies out.

Thomas57

Forum Newbie
Threads
You still haven't posted the engine model #....eg: 126M02-1525-F1. Probably on the shroud above the muffler.

125KO9-0266-E1 04031658

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The parts diagram shows that this engine should have a choke that operated by position of the throttle cable. Not a primer, but since we don't know what the guy put on it, the carb that he installed may be jetted too rich for that engine and air filters cause some restriction resulting in a rich mixture if already running rich.