Mower hit something hard then stop.

bluefire_xl

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,

My mower hit something hard and suddenly stops. Tried to start it again but the mower is shaking while running. Could someone guide me on what to check to repair it? I got a Murray Quantum 6.75 mower.

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,

My mower hit something hard and suddenly stops. Tried to start it again but the mower is shaking while running. Could someone guide me on what to check to repair it? I got a Murray Quantum 6.75 mower.

First, The blade is probably bent.
Tilt mower up with the carb side up and look at the blade.

To take the blade off you will need some force...the bolt holding it will be tight.

You need a good socket to fit it...maybe 9/16 inch and good quality handle and maybe an extension to give more leverage.

Since it restarts that is a good sign.
The crank shaft may be bent...that would be bad.

If blade is bent..you need a new blade for that model mower...the correct length.

let us know about the condition of the blade.

bluefire_xl

Forum Newbie
Threads
First, The blade is probably bent.
Tilt mower up with the carb side up and look at the blade.

To take the blade off you will need some force...the bolt holding it will be tight.

You need a good socket to fit it...maybe 9/16 inch and good quality handle and maybe an extension to give more leverage.

Since it restarts that is a good sign.
The crankshaft may be bent...that would be bad.

If blade is bent..you need a new blade for that model mower...the correct length.

let us know about the condition of the blade.

Hi,

Just looked at my mower blade and the first thing I noticed was it is not aligned to the base where it sits. Tried to rotate the blade manually and it seems to be fine and not hitting any edges or any sign of movement from the shaft. Hope the misalignment is the only issue.

This is my first time to replace a mower blade. I have removed it already. Not sure if its bent since I have not seen a new one. But when I put it on the ground. The middle part going to the outer edge is not flat on the floor. It might need a replacement anyway.

Do I need to buy the exact mower blade for the mower model that I have? or as long as the blade is the same length?

shiftsuper175607

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hi,

Just looked at my mower blade and the first thing I noticed was it is not aligned to the base where it sits. Tried to rotate the blade manually and it seems to be fine and not hitting any edges or any sign of movement from the shaft. Hope the misalignment is the only issue.

This is my first time to replace a mower blade. I have removed it already. Not sure if its bent since I have not seen a new one. But when I put it on the ground. The middle part going to the outer edge is not flat on the floor. It might need a replacement anyway.

Do I need to buy the exact mower blade for the mower model that I have? or as long as the blade is the same length?

You would be best served by getting the exact blade for your mower.... in the correct length.
Your mower may have some kind of adapter that may be damaged.

They have universal with various adapters but the savings will be negligible.
Some blades have one round hole...some two, some three...they can be different sizes.
The blade may have a star like or irregular hole..

In short..get one for your specific mower.

Threads
You would be best served by getting the exact blade for your mower.... in the correct length.
Your mower may have some kind of adapter that may be damaged.

They have universal with various adapters but the savings will be negligible.
Some blades have one round hole...some two, some three...they can be different sizes.
The blade may have a star like or irregular hole..

In short..get one for your specific mower.

In short just bring the blade you have to the Hardware store and get the same blade you have now........

wingnut1955

Threads
check your crank shaft and make sure its not bent. if it is bent you don't want to spend money on a new blade some shops ca fix bent crankshafts

charlie50

Threads
Hi,

Before buying any thing you need to make sure that the crankshaft is straight .
To Check :
1. disconnect spark plug and remove from engine
2. Turn mower on its side , air filter facing side up . oil fill side facing down .
3 . take a tape measure (or other measuring device ) put one end on the flat of the blade mounting bolt and measure to the side on the cutting deck .
4. the measurement should be the same on all the six sides of the bolt (measure to same spot on the mower deck by turning engine over by hand ). IF the measurement is out more than a 1/4" the motor is not going to be usable with out a crankshaft replacement . Less that a 1/4 " you may be able to grind some metal off of the hi end of the replacement blade to keep it from vibrating to badly .