Mower getting slower

Wilder1114

Threads
It cuts great but a big loss of speed. Could the drive belt be slipping it is fraying a little. But there is no sqeakin.

Lawnranger

Threads
Most likely the belt. Change the belt and see if that fixes it. At the very worst, you'll have a replacement belt on hand.

Wilder1114

Threads
I clean the air filter and the spark plugs then sprayed card cleaner in carb. Still not running good I haven't replaced the belt yet that requires a 30 min drive but will next time in town.

Lawnranger

Threads
I clean the air filter and the spark plugs then sprayed card cleaner in carb. Still not running good I haven't replaced the belt yet that requires a 30 min drive but will next time in town.

You made no mention of the running condition of the engine in your first post but now you have an engine running problem and that can change everything. You must first have a properly operating engine before you can diagnose a transmission problem. Please comment on the engine problem and be as specific as possible. What type of mower are you working on, push or rider? What brand engine? What are the engine numbers? What is the symptom? When does it happen? Does the engine die? Does it restart after it dies? Does it just have a lack of power? Please list ALL symptoms you are experiencing with you mower and be as specific as possible.

Answer ALL of the above questions and I will do my best to help you.

Wilder1114

Threads
Briggs & Stratton model #461707 20 hp twin II riding mower 46" cut. It cuts great just moves very slow engine seems to be fine I think.

Lawnranger

Threads
Briggs & Stratton model #461707 20 hp twin II riding mower 46" cut. It cuts great just moves very slow engine seems to be fine I think.

You go from cutting great to not running good and now engine seems to be fine. Please, make up my mind.:laughing::confused::confused3:

P.S. Since you neglected to answer all the questions I asked, I just won't be able to help you without all the information. Maybe someone else can take over from here.

peterhe2012

Forum Newbie
Threads
Clogging

Because a lawn mower is powered by a combustion engine that is powered by liquid fuel, clogging is a major issue that slows down or even shuts down performance. In fact clogging can occur in many areas of the lawn mower, including the fuel line, the gas cap, the carburetor, the "needle and seat" and the air filter. Disconnect and ground your spark plug wire before performing any maintenance on the lawn mower, and inspect each source for clogs, blockage or dirt. If the paper outer filter is dirty, clean it with compressed air or replace it. Clean the foam inner filter with dishwashing liquid and water. Gas caps and "needle and seat" apparatus are better replaced than cleaned.

Fuel Blend
Each gas station or fuel supplier employs a different blend of fuel in their tank even if the fuel is of the same octane. Additionally, many fuel providers also use gasoline blended with corn alcohol (ethanol) to reduce cost and environmental impact. These variations usually have a minimal effect on large vehicles, such as cars and trucks, but can wreak havoc on smaller, more delicate engines like those of riding or walk-behind mowers. If your mower is experiencing reduced performance, especially with a few stalls, the fuel blend is probably not the best for your lawn mower. Far from presenting a minor problem, the wrong fuel can take years away from your engine's life span. Use fuel from a different provider.

Loss of Drive
For self-propelled walk-behind and even electric lawn mowers, a loss of drive can mean a bad battery, a motion drive belt fault or even air trapped in the transmission. Examine the battery for low power after a full night of charging. If the battery still registers as low, replace and fully charge it before trying to use the mower again. If the problem is not solved, inspect the motion drive belt for signs of wear or damage. If the motion drive belt is in good order, take the lawn mower to a professional service center for help from a certified technician.

Wilder1114

Threads
The mower seems to cut good, it don't stall, and the engine seems strong. It just has no speed it moves very slow. In 7th gear it moves like it is in 2nd.

bwestbrook

Threads
If the mower's engine is running good then check your drive belt and replace. If that does not totally fix the problem your gear linkage going to your transmission may need adjusting.