Mower for 6 to 7 acres

pilotbuddy

Threads
Grasshopper front mount is what I suggest for getting around trees. The deck tilts up for easy maintenance. They are built like a tank and ride way better than a Scag.

northcreeek262

Threads
If you can find a Jacobsen Turfcat like I did from a high school sale or other establishment you will never regret it.
100_4331.jpeg

Last edited:

GentlemanFahmah

Threads
I have 14 acres and mow about 9 acres of it I have LandPride FDR1672 finish mower behind a Kubota L3600
Tractor. I have trees but nothing close to 100 in the mower no area, but still plenty to dodge. Your note says that all the trees have mulch beds around. While mowing is your focus you may wanna consider a tractor because mulching 100 trees will certainly need a loader bucket or a strong willed and strong back to move he yards of mulch every year.

I’ve had very good luck with the setup I run and I also have a 46” lawn tractor which is my trim Mower. Finding one machine to do everything you need maybe a challenge. I think renting a machine is brilliant and a good way to get a handle on what will work for you.

Zero turn 72 inch deck should do a good job as long as the engine is strong enough to knock down the height and thickness of the grass you face

ukrkoz

Threads
I have 6 acre property and mow about 5+ of it, due to build outs and driveway.
I have VERY rough 2.5 acre. VERY.
Lots of hills and things of that nature. It's RPITA to mow.
I had 60 inch ZTR and I could do entire mow in 2.5 hr.
With trees so many, you are destined to go ZTR. The larger it gets, the harder it will be to manuever, keep that in mind. With ZTR, you can turn on a dime.
If money is not a problem, get one with floating deck in the front. Also, one that flips deck vertical. It is much easier to maintain blades. Get good quality blades and do not save on engine horse power, and it will take on saplings just fine. Also, ask yourself a question, why pro mowers like stand on mowers so much. If you can stand for so long.
Rider ain't gonna cut it for you around all the trees.

ukrkoz

Threads
You won't maneuver around trees with tractor. I mean, you will, but it will be time wasting pain to do it. Tractors are mowers for open fields, that's about it.

Hal12

Threads
You've enough property to qualify for a small tractor..I've an 8n. 1948. Then you get a bushhog, 60"

So now you have a tractor for not only cutting the grass, but with the purchase of a box blade and

landscaping blade you can keep that gravel drive nice and tidy...

MowManMow

Threads
Being more of a buy it once type person I'm a manual shift tractor guy. Less maneuverable than Zero true but you'll have a dozen Zero's piled behind the barn by the time a good tractor even begins to wear out. But' thats me... Nothing to see 50yr old tractors going strong, nothing to see 5yr old zero's scrapped daily too so purchase wisely with this much mowing!
My neighbor uses his Kubota (bought used 2yrs old) on his 14 acres with a cheap mower to trim all around trees.
The Jacobson is a beast to last also but the attachments tractors offer like backhoe, FEL, Tillers etc.. hands down will be a lifelong machine ready for anything life throws at you while others are so limited for little money difference.

MowManMow

Threads
You've enough property to qualify for a small tractor..I've an 8n. 1948. Then you get a bushhog, 60"

So now you have a tractor for not only cutting the grass, but with the purchase of a box blade and

landscaping blade you can keep that gravel drive nice and tidy...
DITTO'
I'd buy a used tractor and roll too cause I know how much better a tractors built. So many like to have that perty new paint but one can buy perty new paint without the new tractor, people forget that it seems.

Last edited:

Gunhead58

Threads
So we just got a new property that will need to have 6 to 7 acres of bermuda mowed. Lots of trees, I mean like well over 100, most have really large mulch circles around them.

Right now I live on 3 acres, most of which has fescue and I mow that with a Freedom Z 54 inch. I'm guessing I'm going to need something much larger for the new property.

What size do you recommend?

My Scag dealer said $14897 for a 72 inch Turf Tiger 2, $13308 for a Cheetah 2 72 inch, and $9499 for a Tiger Cat 2 61 inch.

Would the Tiger Cat be enough? That is the only one they have available right now.

Personally I've been really happy with my Scag so I'm not sure I want to consider other brands, but are there other brands I should look at?

Thanks.
So we just got a new property that will need to have 6 to 7 acres of bermuda mowed. Lots of trees, I mean like well over 100, most have really large mulch circles around them.

Right now I live on 3 acres, most of which has fescue and I mow that with a Freedom Z 54 inch. I'm guessing I'm going to need something much larger for the new property.

What size do you recommend?

My Scag dealer said $14897 for a 72 inch Turf Tiger 2, $13308 for a Cheetah 2 72 inch, and $9499 for a Tiger Cat 2 61 inch.

Would the Tiger Cat be enough? That is the only one they have available right now.

Personally I've been really happy with my Scag so I'm not sure I want to consider other brands, but are there other brands I should look at?

Thanks.
Wife and I live on 25 acres in Texas. I cut about 6 acres with my SCAG Tiger Cat II 61” Kawasaki and another 10 acres or so with my Mahindra 25/55. I could probably cut it all (time permitting) with my SCAG but with the hog problem we have, there are some areas with rather large ruts and I don’t want to abuse my SCAG when I have other ways of cutting.

Attachments

• B7E2F506-A7EC-4D0A-9C6F-0AB22C8F3581.jpeg
    B7E2F506-A7EC-4D0A-9C6F-0AB22C8F3581.jpeg
    813.4 KB · Views: 8