Mower doing same as before...slow crank...no start!

sillyboy

Threads
  • / Mower doing same as before...slow crank...no start!
Hi all,

After a valve adjustment, and 2 mowings, the starting problem resurfaced. I had to jump start it with my car last week. Starts great with a car battery.

Today (9-6-11) I readjusted the valves, but when I pulled the plug A LOT of gas came out of the plug hole. Looking back, I see that the needle valve might be leaking. Seems it is. How do I repair this?

I also think the battery is not being maintained thru the electrical system. Is there something I could look at here, also? It always sounds real weak even when it does start. When I turned it over, to get all the gas out and check the valve settings, the battery sounded as if if were ready to die again.

Thanks

themowerguy

Threads
I glanced at your previous thread, I would have used the Brigg's specs for the valves, they are the ones who actually made the engine after all. As for the gas in the cylinder, it sounds like your needle valve in your carburetor is not sealing. Be careful with this as the fuel can potentially leak into the crankcase and thin out your oil. Pull the dipstick and use a lighter to try to ignite it. If it catches, you have gas in your oil, a basic pocket lighter will not ignite motor oil.

As for the electrical issue, the engine should have a stator underneath the flywheel that produces a small charge to keep the battery fully charged (as well as powering headlights if your unit is so equipped). This may be faulty, or you may have a wiring issue somewhere that is preventing the stator from charging the battery.

sillyboy

Threads
I glanced at your previous thread, I would have used the Brigg's specs for the valves, they are the ones who actually made the engine after all. As for the gas in the cylinder, it sounds like your needle valve in your carburetor is not sealing. Be careful with this as the fuel can potentially leak into the crankcase and thin out your oil. Pull the dipstick and use a lighter to try to ignite it. If it catches, you have gas in your oil, a basic pocket lighter will not ignite motor oil.

As for the electrical issue, the engine should have a stator underneath the flywheel that produces a small charge to keep the battery fully charged (as well as powering headlights if your unit is so equipped). This may be faulty, or you may have a wiring issue somewhere that is preventing the stator from charging the battery.

Thanks

I actually started the mower earlier. The battery still turned the motor over slowly, but started. Does the gas get by the rings, into the crank case?

Will check oil this Friday.

Also started to take the carb off and quit. Looks like quite an undertaking. I need more info for the carb, and will do the carb this winter.

One more thing, do I have to start a new post, if I do not check in for say a month? Or do I just keep going with this one?

Thanks for the help.

themowerguy

Threads
If the needle valve in the carburetor isn't sealing, fuel will continuously dump into the cylinder and seep past the rings. The older the engine (and the more wear on the rings) the faster this will happen.

As for the posts, I really don't know. I have only been a member for a couple of days. I have worked for a small mower shop for about 10 years, though, so I thought I would spread a little help where I can.

sillyboy

Threads
If the needle valve in the carburetor isn't sealing, fuel will continuously dump into the cylinder and seep past the rings. The older the engine (and the more wear on the rings) the faster this will happen.

As for the posts, I really don't know. I have only been a member for a couple of days. I have worked for a small mower shop for about 10 years, though, so I thought I would spread a little help where I can.

Thank You for the help