Mower dies after getting hot if mower is ingaged

srodney184

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a Murray 42 inch cut model 425620x92b with 18.5 Briggs and Stratton ohv engine. It will run about 10 minutes when cutting but then quits but will keep running if I disengage the blade. It dies as soon as I reengage the blade. After about 15 to 30 minutes cooling off, it will run and cut again but only for a few minutes. Any Ideas?

Pumper54

Threads
Wild shot in the dark but have you checked the PTO safety switch to see if it is bad. If you can locate it, check it with a multi meter or put a ziptie around it to hold in the button. NOTE: Doing so over rides the safety switch and you do so at your own risk. It the switch fails these test you most likely will have to replace it.
Good luck and let us know what you find.
Tom

srodney184

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks. I think the switch is working since the engine keeps running once the PTO is disengaged then dies again if engaged again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would check out your charging system, make sure it is charging things enough. The afterfire solenoid might be shutting off early due to not enough voltage, which is why when you turn off the pto switch, it keeps running..

Here is a wiring scheme.

murray.gif

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
No, wrong one... let me try again.

Fish

Lawn Pro
Threads
Imagemurray 425620x92a.gif

I think I found it!

srodney184

Forum Newbie
Threads
The last one is the diagram in the book. How do I check it and what voltage am I looking for? Thanks.