mower change??

Marty013

Threads
soo we moved and the property.. though it CAN get mowed with a self propelled walk behind mower... ive been looking at lawn tractors.. not buying new.. but used ive managed to find a john deere 112 model.. 200bux is the firm asking price (canadian) which for an old mower seems about right... from browsing online ive managed to find out this should either have a 10-12HP engine and either 38 or 46in cut.. now since it took me about 1.5-1.75 hours today to mow everything i plan on keeping mowed (I can mow as much as i want from the field..) i dont see this as an absolute nessecity but what are your thaughts?? are these older Deeres more trouble than anyting else? or do they actually do the job very well?

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
Older Deers are built better, but an old mower is always a risk to buy. You don't know how it was used and if maintenance was done properly. Make sure spindles are good, oil is nice, motor runs good, air filter is not too dirty, etc.

Content de voir un gars du Qu饕ec ici!

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
John Deere made that model 1966 till 1972. It looks like a nice old mower to restore. I have found that finding parts for the older John Deere's can be a chore because after just so long they don't make parts for their older tractors. If this is something for keeping your lawn mowed I would look for something newer. You should be able to find something newer in a JD or another popular make for around the same price.

Marty013

Threads
Older Deers are built better, but an old mower is always a risk to buy. You don't know how it was used and if maintenance was done properly. Make sure spindles are good, oil is nice, motor runs good, air filter is not too dirty, etc.

Content de voir un gars du Qu鬣鋲c ici!

spindles! ye ive heard many folks say these little gems can make or break a used mower purchase... how does one check these?? much like a car i assume.. any loose and no go??

dla gaspesie plus pr馗isement!

Marty013

Threads
John Deere made that model 1966 till 1972. It looks like a nice old mower to restore. I have found that finding parts for the older John Deere's can be a chore because after just so long they don't make parts for their older tractors. If this is something for keeping your lawn mowed I would look for something newer. You should be able to find something newer in a JD or another popular make for around the same price.

oh i agree the years have piled onto this one.. but around here.. its either this, other ones that are already very much rusting out.. or more than double the price

that being said.. its like im thinking.. i don really NEED a trator to mow.. would kinda be nice to have though
:thumbsup:

Lawnboy18

Lawn Addict
Threads
spindles! ye ive heard many folks say these little gems can make or break a used mower purchase... how does one check these?? much like a car i assume.. any loose and no go??

dla gaspesie plus pr鬥擁sement!

Well, if you engage the blades and it sounds like a train passing by, better not buy the mower. Have you thought about a 30" mower!

Moi je suis plus au sud au Qu饕ec.

Marty013

Threads
Well, if you engage the blades and it sounds like a train passing by, better not buy the mower. Have you thought about a 30" mower!

Moi je suis plus au sud au Qu饕ec.

oh.. THOSE spindles lol i thaught you meant the spindles for the front wheels.. yeah that makes more sence.. and yes i have thaught about a 30in mower.. but everything i find used costs about the same. so if id poney up.. poney UP not just for an extra 9 inches.. get an extra 17 or more :) and id still have the self propelled and trimmer.. ill probably not move on this untill getting some time next summer really.. more i think about it..