Mower Blades

djg618

Threads
My zero turn is a 60" Howard Price 360Z. Manufactured in St. Louis years ago but has closed since. There may be someone there (60 mi away) that sells parts but they've been hard to get a hold of in the past.

I need new mower blades (3).
20-1/2" x 2-1/2" wide x 3/16" thick. Only hole is in the center and is 1" dia. The numbers on it are 20 750 and 23726.

A logo I can't read and made in USA stamped on it also.

The part number in the manual is 09-256-A.

Any help?

IMG_1917.JPG

IMG_1922.JPG

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
With those specs the best I can find is a Snapper blade that is .203". They are a little thicker but not much.

1736043AYPB > Stens 340-462
1687994557028.png

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only one that I found was the Snapper blade that @StarTech linked to.
Another option is to use a step drill bit to enlarge an existing hole in a commercial mower blade. A vice and drill press would work nicely.

djg618

Threads
This is supposedly a commercial mower. Where do I look for those blades?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The place I usually go is the Stens " chart - blades " which you will find in the resources section on their web page, along with a lot of other very useful stuff.
So you need to download the pdf file then look at the blades that are 20.5" long or slightly longer because you can cut a long blade a little shorter.
The 1" hole will be a problem so as MParr mentioned you might need to go for a 15/16" and either get your spindles machined down or enlarge the holes .
A word to the wise on the latter as mower blades work harden so you will need a 1" carbide drill and that hole needs to be very accurate size & position wise
If it was my mower I would go with machining down the spindles to one of the sizes on the chart as it can be easily machined very accurately where as enlarging the hole accurately is quite difficult .
The other option is to have a spacer 1" ø to 1.125" ø made to space out you spindle to fit the 1.125"ø blades
If you go with the spacer it must be hardened and shrunk fitted on
Alternatively you can get the shaft hard faced & ground back to 1.125"ø

This should keep you scratching your head for a while

Check each blade option in the catalogue and then check the prices before you decide which way to go .

Oregon might have a blade that will fit but I have never been able to find a downloadable blade size chart so you would have to ring or email .

Stens have a "find a dealer" on their web page but most mower shops will have a stens account

djg618

Threads
Just to be clear, since it's not in the photo, my spindles are threaded and a nut screws onto them.

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Did you measure the blade length diagonally?

djg618

Threads
Did you measure the blade length diagonally?
No I didn't. Maybe that's where the 20-3/4" comes from.

I remeasured all three blades in case I was measuring a damaged one and all three are 20-1/2" long. Actually 1/16" shy (wear?). They are 2-1/2" wide and 1/4" thick. The hole AND the spindle measure 0.982" with a micrometer.

I'm considering buying a 0.204" thick blade in that length with a 15/16" (0.938") hole. I could open up the hole on each blade by running a conical stone in a drill from each side of the blade until it fits the arbor.

Is blade thickness that imortant? Should I stick with 1/4"?