Motor is very tight. Opinions please?

Threads
OP here, thanks for the replies so far. I did not mean to start a debate on synt/vs/mineral oil however I do appreciate the feedback on both. I too admit to sticking to the book when it comes to oils and have always stayed with manf. recomendations. However in this case I am still very much considering switching to an all synthetic oil to see if it will help my problem.
A couple of points I would like to raise on the valve lash and decompression ideas, One being that this motor has done this since BRAND NEW. Aside from the test run at the factory I am positive that I am the very first one to run this motor. It would seem to me that a factory would not release a motor that had a valve lash or decompression problem and know about it. Not saying of course that its impossible to get a "lemon" so to speak, I realize that its not impossible. But let me ask this, is it possible that perhaps a wire could be broken or a valve not energizing or de-energizing at just the right moment and not releasing the compression on the motor at start up? Does this engine even have that capability?
Please continue to share your thoughts about the motor and by all means please continue to share your thoughts about the oil as well. I am finding it very informative and very interesting as well.

As always, thanks
Dave

benski

Threads
I hate to say this, but perhaps the engine wasn't adjusted correctly at the factory, or assembled with defective or incorrect parts.:eek:If this has done this since new, it seems like it might be possible. As for switching over to synthetic oil, I'd be shocked if it made a difference in what you're describing. I'd lean more to changing oil AFTER I got this particular issue rectified. :)

Duffer72

Threads
Those and other briggs engines have a recurring problem with this condition, you just need to adjust the valves properly and it will clear up but don't be suprised if it happens again in a few months, I have a couple that I get called on that I have to do it every 6 months or so, but most people just give up and turn the motor over as you have stated you do and they start right up.

Last edited:
Threads
If I just leave it alone and continue to start/crank it like I have all along, do I risk damaging the engine in any way?

Duffer72

Threads
One of the mowers that the people have given up on has been like that for 3 or 4 years now, it doesn't seem to effect the running once it kicks over at all. it is just that the engines have been max'd out for HP rating that they have the compression release so tight of a spec that it is what causes it.