Most Dangerous Hand Tools

Lawn Addict
Threads
I have. Auto body and boat work, that kind of stuff. 3 inch cut-off wheels.

I have 4" cut off wheels for mine, just didn't consider them as blades. But they cut like going thru butter. Point taken.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, cutting tool but not really a "blade"

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, cutting tool but not really a "blade"

Agree, but it can hurt ya bad, if not careful, that's for sure. That cutting wheel breaks, look out. That had to be pretty gruesome seeing that guy that got hurt.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Ladders. Treat them with great respect, especially the 24 foot extension type I have to use 4-5 time per year to clean out second story gutters. But only two accidents that really hurt were landing on aluminum ladders after falling...First time after some beers (stupid, stupid) on a little 8 foot aluminum ladder checking my hillside foundation after the Northridge earthquake . Second time while pruning. The branch I was pruning was lightened slightly and pulled away, sending me down, down, down. I hurt too bad to get up and walk so crawled across the yard hoping no neighbor saw me. Yeah, just like the 3 stooges movie. Nothing but pride hurt, but could not really feel anything for a long time on the second one.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I hear ya about ladders & landing on them. I did that, I was up on the 2nd stage of my ladder trying to reach a loose shingle in gutter. Instead of getting down & moving the ladder closer. No, I had to try & stretch out, down I came & landed on the ladder, only I had to go to ER, I broke mu upper Trocanter (big bone in upper thigh).
Stoopid of me. :ashamed:

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I stay "centered" on the ladder rungs. Even though it takes longer I get down and make the ladder adjustment. Very fussy about ladder leg placement also...on one side of the 2 story with soft , irregular ground I made a 3/4 plywood base to use for the ladder legs, a piece of "tooling" I always use there. This platform is stored inside and dragged out. Cannot get anyone reliable to clean the gutters with 80" of rain here.

I notice that some ladders have adjustable leg ends for irregular terrain. Take the time to "shim up" a short leg before climbing and shake the ladder around to be sure it is stable. Sudden wind can be scary. Somewhere I read that ladder accidents are very near the top contributor to ER admissions.

With amazement I have watched painters and roofers "run" up a fully extended 30 ft ladder like a playful monkey. Make sure these guys are insured before you hire them to protect your house title from a mechanics lien! They do fall.

That 24 footer has got too heavy for me to carry so I made a simple dolly attachment for one end. This thing works better than expected . It is simply two cheapie swivel wheels (from a square dolly H Frt) mounted to a 2 x 4 cross piece. That cross piece is bungeed to the bottom ladder rung.

Pick up the other ladder end and pull or push. You can turn on a dime by twist lifting one ladder side. Does not like rough ground, but very good on pavements.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The father of a good friend of mine died 2 years ago from a fall he suffered while cleaning his gutters. His wife was holding the extension ladder but didn't really know what she was doing and apparently didn't "foot" it. It slipped out and he lost his balance and landed on his head and back. She knew CPR and was able to revive him on the scene but they lost him on the way to the ER. He was in his 70s but in good shape and was still active as a charter pilot. His wife blamed herself because she was supposed to hold the ladder. Very sad and a very difficult funeral to attend with her wailing in guilt and grief.

I have an adjustable tripod ladder that I use outdoors, mostly for tall hedges. I bought the fiberglass one to eliminate the electrocution hazard. This, but like I said, in fiberglass. https://www.amazon.com/Little-Giant-11580-300-Pound-Stepladder/product-reviews/B0009KM360

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
A tragedy and condolence to you to have to tell it. Each time I start to climb I remind myself how dangerous this is. Done over I would not buy a 2 story, but a ladder can be lethal at 1 story height. I never carry anything up a ladder but a lightweight alum pole with scraper for gutter cleaning. The TV dudes continue to push "leaf gutter guards," but I found that pine needles went right through some screening I tried once. New (deep custom) guttering runs $8/foot and up....YIKES.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have 4" cut off wheels for mine, just didn't consider them as blades. But they cut like going thru butter. Point taken.

Cut off wheels can break when using them. They spin at a very high speed to the point of coming apart if the have any defects in them. So check then very close before using them and make sure to have the guard over them if possible. I had one come apart when I was using it and parts of it hit me in the face many years ago but I remember it as a good lesson learned.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
This reminds me of how fragile grinding wheels are. The instructions for fitting usually include a warning to step away when first starting one. If dropped it is best to trash them, or at least strike them gently to hear a clear bell tone ring. The paper washers should be left on the grinding wheels for cushion. Grinding heavily (or even lightly) on the side of the wheel is dangerous. And watch out with free hand grinding of small parts or get the manicure of your life (ask me how I know).

Edit: I am gathering courage to tell about (perhaps) the most dangerous tool mod I ever made, and why you should not do it.

Edit: After typing out the formula of stupidity and danger I decided it would be dumb to publish. Like bomb instructions.

Last edited: