Missing choke linkage

samv

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a C/Cadet XT1 LT46. I think it's a 22 HP Kohler. In order to start the mower, I need to push up on the choke lever momentarily and it will start right up. I'm assuming that there was a linkage or spring that came off. Can someone confirm this for me? How and to where does the linkage attach? If anyone has a part number and/or photo of how it attaches, that would be great. I'm sure I can fabricate one if need be but need some direction on where it attaches. Thanks so much!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Try this first. Push the throttle control to the fully choked position. Trace the throttle control cable to the engine. You will find a clamp which holds the cable to a bracket. Loosen this clamp and push the cable forward and while watching the choke lever on the carb. I’m guessing you will see the choke close. tighten the clamp, and try starting the engine. It is not uncommon for the cable to work itself backwards, not allowing you to fully close the choke when starting.

samv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Oddly I had an issue with the throttle cable about 2 weeks ago. Seems like it was seized in the sheath. i was able to free that up with some WD-40. When it hung up, I forced it pretty hard into position. I wonder if I caused the throttle linkage to pop off. I found them for sale on the c/cadet website, but it didn’t display any pictures, so I cant see how its configured.

samv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for the reply. Oddly I had an issue with the throttle cable about 2 weeks ago. Seems like it was seized in the sheath. i was able to free that up with some WD-40. When it hung up, I forced it pretty hard into position. I wonder if I caused the throttle linkage to pop off. I found them for sale on the c/cadet website, but it didn’t display any pictures, so I cant see how its configured.
I tried what you said and it worked! Thanks!

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thank you for letting us know that the problem is solved. 95% of the time people don’t take the time to acknowledge that the problem has been solved. Takes to much effort.

samv

Forum Newbie
Threads
Try this first. Push the throttle control to the fully choked position. Trace the throttle control cable to the engine. You will find a clamp which holds the cable to a bracket. Loosen this clamp and push the cable forward and while watching the choke lever on the carb. I’m guessing you will see the choke close. tighten the clamp, and try starting the engine. It is not uncommon for the cable to work itself backwards, not allowing you to fully close the choke when starting.
After doing this, it seems it may be revving too high. Is this possible, or will the governor prevent this? I guess I could adjust the throttle back a bit. Thx