Mid-Range Zero Turn Questions

bweikert

Forum Newbie
Threads
All, Thanks in advance for your input. Currently mowing about an acre, but aspirations for 2-3 acres next property... or potentially mowing for a neighbor or two.

Looking at the following in 48 deck size...
Ferris 500s
Scag Freedom/Liberty Z
Exmark Radius E
Simplicity Courier XT
Toro Titan (the non "myride') 75301

They're all pretty similar in the primary components (frame, engine, transaxels, fab deck and construction)... but the prices range a bit.
My questions are two...
1. Are there any options I should also be considering? (looked at BigDog Alpha MPX and Airens Apex briefly)
2. Am I making a mistake considering the Toro Titan given its about 1000-1500 less than the others?

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Of those primary listings, I would pick the Toro.
The Ariens Apex is a good unit.
The Big Dog lists a Briggs and Stratton power plant. I’m not sure but, that may be the case right now. Briggs is having big problems meeting orders. I would be hesitant to buy a mower with a Briggs engine. Hustler makes a similar mower with Kohler or Kawasaki power.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
A serviceable drive system with external spin on filters
Blades with a lot of overlap
while 3 x 16 = 48
3 x 16" blades will not make a nice full 48" cut for very long
3 x 16.125 is just acceptable
3 x 16.25 is good
3 x 16.5 is perfect
A deck that has slide on spindle covers saves buckets of time
Spindle covers with holes big enough to blow clipping out is also good
Most fires happen from the deck belt rubbing on dry clippings . After loosing one & 5 acres of sry pasture, all our mowers now have a 2lb CO2 gas fire extinguisher on them .
Tension arms on both deck & hydros that have a square hole for a breaker bar makes belt servicing / changing so much easier
A PTO clutch with a plug on the PTO is easier to disconnect that searching behind the engine for it
Ask the dealers to show you ( not tell you ) or guide you to change the Hydro belt at least or both belts is better
Some are a pig to do when cold in a workshop let alone hot in the middle of a lawn.
A very high transit lock position for the deck so you can get it on & off trailers without it hanging up
Spindles that have easily accessable grease nipples

bweikert

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I’ve culled the list down for a variety of reasons…. Thoughts on below:
- Toro Titan 48/54” (75301/75302) (discontinued iterations after this year, having a hard time finding one in stock anywhere
- Hustler XD 54”
- Big Dog Alpha MP 54”
- Gravely ZT XL vs HD 48”

appreciate your thoughts and considerations…

MParr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hustler Raptor XD: Kawasaki FR691V 23HP engine. 3 Year 300 Hour warranty.
Big Dog Alpha MP: Briggs and Stratton PXI Engine 23 HP. 7 Year 300 Hour warranty.
Gravely ZT XL: Kawasaki FR691V 23 HP engine. 4 Year 400 Hour warranty.
All have Hydro-Gear ZT2800 transaxles.Seviceable
They are all pretty equal as far as power. Which dealership has the best reputation? It’s your call.