Maverick HD or any other BB with Hydro-Gear integrated pump/motor.

Will S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Maverick HD or any other BB with Hydro-Gear integrated pump/motor.
Tracking adjusted (by dealer) to track straight, with control arms full forward, the mower will not track straight when backing up, both sticks full reverse. Control arms are even while in neutral. When on jack stands, wheels do not turn with engine running and in neutral. Brakes are not dragging on either side.

I have another zero turn (Grasshopper) which has seperate pumps and Parker wheel motors, and tracks straight, full speed forward or reverse.

Dealers 'mechanic' says this is normal; than none of the Hydro-Gear integrated units track straight both forward and reverse. I called Hydro-Gear, and they say otherwise.

So, do any of you have a Maverick HD, or any other BB mower with Hydro-Gear 3200 or 3400 integrated units? Does it matter to you if they don't track in reverse?

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Tracking adjusted (by dealer) to track straight, with control arms full forward, the mower will not track straight when backing up, both sticks full reverse. Control arms are even while in neutral. When on jack stands, wheels do not turn with engine running and in neutral. Brakes are not dragging on either side.

I have another zero turn (Grasshopper) which has seperate pumps and Parker wheel motors, and tracks straight, full speed forward or reverse.

Dealers 'mechanic' says this is normal; than none of the Hydro-Gear integrated units track straight both forward and reverse. I called Hydro-Gear, and they say otherwise.

So, do any of you have a Maverick HD, or any other BB mower with Hydro-Gear 3200 or 3400 integrated units? Does it matter to you if they don't track in reverse?

It can be a bit tricky and time consuming to get some steering arms just right so they track evenly. Some people that mow for less than an hour each week will not even mention it, but if you mow all day long, it needs to be as even as possible. Should be set up correctly when new, but sometimes the technician does not take the time to do so.

Will S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you for the reply. I bought the machine less than a month ago, and didn't have opportunity to drive it or even see it. So I called the dealer (2-1/2 hours away), and he sent his mechanic. I told the guy what it's doing, and he said no problem; I'll fix that... it's just getting the linkages set properly.

Hour and a half later, after many test drives and more "tweaking" the adjustments, he said there you go... drive it. So I did, and it was exactly the same was as before he showed up. (pull the sticks full reverse), the mower will do clockwise circles of about 20' diameter. When I told the guy it's no dfferent, he got into my face and loudly proclaimed that no zero tracks straight in both forward and reverse. I called Hydro-Gear, and asked a tech support guy, and he said the problem is either linkage adjustment it wrong, OR, one pump probably has a a stuck or leaking internal bypass (check valve). Dealer refuses to do anything more, since his guy said it's good that way it is.

I'd like to hear from anyone, who's BB zero tracks straight, both directions. Pretty much all BB models below Rogue, and Hydro-Gear integrated transmissions.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
Thank you for the reply. I bought the machine less than a month ago, and didn't have opportunity to drive it or even see it. So I called the dealer (2-1/2 hours away), and he sent his mechanic. I told the guy what it's doing, and he said no problem; I'll fix that... it's just getting the linkages set properly.

Hour and a half later, after many test drives and more "tweaking" the adjustments, he said there you go... drive it. So I did, and it was exactly the same was as before he showed up. (pull the sticks full reverse), the mower will do clockwise circles of about 20' diameter. When I told the guy it's no dfferent, he got into my face and loudly proclaimed that no zero tracks straight in both forward and reverse. I called Hydro-Gear, and asked a tech support guy, and he said the problem is either linkage adjustment it wrong, OR, one pump probably has a a stuck or leaking internal bypass (check valve). Dealer refuses to do anything more, since his guy said it's good that way it is.

I'd like to hear from anyone, who's BB zero tracks straight, both directions. Pretty much all BB models below Rogue, and Hydro-Gear integrated transmissions.
The fact that the dealer sent the mechanic to your house that far away to adjust the steering tracking is amazing. The fact that the mechanic could not properly adjust the tracking and then got upset at you is more amazing. You are the customer and have a new Bad Boy zero turn. It is not your fault the tracking is not correct, and simply want it to operate like it should.

I would recommend trying to contact another dealer for help. It doesn’t have to be a Bad Boy dealer, a shop that works on zero turns should be able to make it right. However, it will cost the labor time out of your pocket from a shop that is not set up with Bad Boy, unless you can get prior approval from Bad Boy. I would also consider leaving a negative review on the dealer’s website with the unprofessional and incompetent mechanic.

Whether it is separate hydro pump and drive motor with hydro lines, or a hydro transaxle (like you have), it is usually a matter of getting the linkages adjusted properly for the tracking to be correct. If you have a weak transaxle or sticking bypass then that would be warranty, but I highly doubt that is the real issue. Hope this helps you.

Will S.

Forum Newbie
Threads
Yes, that's good advice and I intend to follow your suggestions. I don't know if the dealer has an actual website, but he may have a FB presence. I have spoken to his BB area rep, who said he was going to speak to the dealer about this.

I have tried going to 3 other Hydro-Gear Authorized service places, and all of the said they only work on equipment which they have sold, and nothing else. There is 1 more that is in reasonable driving dispance that I will try. I know I'll be paying for labor for work that is not Hydro-Gear warrantied, so it's just to find one that will determine that the pump is the problem.

Meanwhile, I would very much like to hear from anyone who has a zero (BB), whatever model, but please mention which one you have, and whether it drives straight, in forward AND reverse with sticks at the stops.

My daughter even said her HomeDepot John Deere Z315 tracks perfectly straight both directions.

lugbolt

Threads
this highlights why I have always said that bad boy mowers are good mowers, built heavy, cut nice, but they lacked in some areas.

Have you tried calling bad boy yet? They have a few guys that can help you figure this out.

dealer tech is correct-partially. ZT's are totally dependent on the terrain. If your yard is sloped even a little, the mower will track to the lower side. ZT's are all like this and I don't care who's it is (I have worked on a LOT of them over the years). However, bad boy does not have a good steering arm stop setup. Well, more specifically the forward stops are ok, but the reverse stops are not. I own a kubota and it is the same way. The transmission are independent of each other and if one steering arm moves even 1/16" further than other, the one that moves further will go faster (obviously) and there is also no independent reverse stop on the kubota either

With that said, with all ZT's, you don't "have" to mow at full speed all the time and I think that's where people often get the wrong idea. Just because it will mow 20 mph, doesn't mean it should. I've found that backing off of the stop a little bit allows me to better control the speed and tracking of the mower. If I'm up against the stops, I can't push the slow side faster to correct a steer, I have to brake/slow the other side instead. If they set your mower up to run full speed against the stops and track perfectly straight on flat, unsloped concrete, and then you get it home and try to mow, the chances of tracking straight in your yard are slim. That's just the nature of ZT's.