Manual Clutch for Horizontal Shaft Motor

ddowns46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone interested in a manual clutch for a horizontal shaft motor? It would be similar to a slide on centrifugal clutch, but would allow the user to operate the clutch manually with a cable. My brother and I are both engineers, and in our free time we designed and manufactured a clutch that could be used on a 3/4" PTO shaft. We originally designed these for use in the Motorsport recreation industry (go karts, mini-bikes, lawn mower racing, etc.), but we've started to consider that this unit might also have some industrial applications. We're about a month away from selling our first set of production parts, but we plan to offer a clutch that is usable on 3/4", 1" and 1-1/8" PTO bore. Just wanted to come on here and see what people thought. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
D

Attachments

• Manual Clutch Prototype 2.png
    Manual Clutch Prototype 2.png
    284.2 KB · Views: 35
  • minibikeclutch1.jpg
    minibikeclutch1.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 23

Mwh0428

Threads
Would not mind having one on my go-kart. About how much do you think this will cost?

Sent from my droid 4 using LMF

ddowns46

Forum Newbie
Threads
Also for cost we're looking at somewhere between $100-150, and will have this figure finalized soon.

Bilboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Anyone interested in a manual clutch for a horizontal shaft motor? It would be similar to a slide on centrifugal clutch, but would allow the user to operate the clutch manually with a cable. My brother and I are both engineers, and in our free time we designed and manufactured a clutch that could be used on a 3/4" PTO shaft. We originally designed these for use in the Motorsport recreation industry (go karts, mini-bikes, lawn mower racing, etc.), but we've started to consider that this unit might also have some industrial applications. We're about a month away from selling our first set of production parts, but we plan to offer a clutch that is usable on 3/4", 1" and 1-1/8" PTO bore. Just wanted to come on here and see what people thought. Feedback would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
D

would you please send me availability of this mechanical clutch and your contact info. Bilboy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Interesting.
Is there really a need for one ?
Working on a Ditch Witch from the 60's with a manual dog clutch
Got a roller from the 50's with a manual clutch
Just about every drum mower uses a cork clutch and the entire unit is about 1/2 that price.
Most reduction drives come with a clutch of some sort
And the local mower maker Cox has been using a simple cone clutch since 1962

Bilboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
Interesting.
Is there really a need for one ?
Working on a Ditch Witch from the 60's with a manual dog clutch
Got a roller from the 50's with a manual clutch
Just about every drum mower uses a cork clutch and the entire unit is about 1/2 that price.
Most reduction drives come with a clutch of some sort
And the local mower maker Cox has been using a simple cone clutch since 1962

To bertsmobile,

I was trying to find a source for a small engine manual clutch for a 4 cycle horizontal engine up to 30 hp. Small automotive type with dry disc, pressure plate, and adaptable driven disc such as a flywheel. I have several Cushman Motorscooter clutches that could be machined up to a 1" shaft to remove the driven disc taper bore. I think that they would handle up to about 8 hp. That type could be modified into a multidisc type to handle more hp, or a whole new one could be machined with larger dimensions. They work very well for changing gears in a manual transmission after the vehicle is moving, but still start out with centrifugal clutch type engagement at a certain speed above idle. Same as a standard centrifugal or Comet snowmobile or torque coverter drive. Wasted engine rpm and the finesse of an automobile type clutch. Motorcycle and atv clutches are wet multidisc coupled to a sealed manual transmission with only forward gears, no reverse unless you add a f-n-r gear box. 2 cycle engines can be reversed, like in some models of golf carts.
I have a Wisconsin 18hp THD engine with a SAE bell housing, with a heavy driven disc adapted to the Wisconsin horizontal shaft, a small standard auto type disc, Auburn type pressure plate, and throwout bearing. This is coupled to a 2 speed F-N-R manual automobile type transmission. Rare? Perfect setup!. With research I have only found similar drivetrains on 1960s thru early 1970s Bolen Grounds Keeper 9601-1 tractors and maybe rail road speeders. That's why I was trying to contact the people in the original Quote on this website. Simple mulitiple engine adaption.
Cone clutches are simple and easy to make, their only drawback is grabbing in engagement. They will effectually engage massive amounts of power depending on their size. But without modification they do not work well for often gear changes. They are great for slow speed engagement of rototillers, lawn mowers,etc. So are the industrial clutches that use a cam over or toggle engagement such as SAE or Twindisc that use a hand lever.
If I cannot find an off the shelf inexpensive type of dry disc clutch I can adapt Honda 3813 thru 5518 riding mower clutches. Only thing I would need to machine is the driven disc for each engine I want to use. Bilboy

Bilboy

Forum Newbie
Threads
This topic is quite old (2013).

A quick search reveal some existing manual dry clutches : https://3dmotorsport.net/products/3dma-racing-clutch-3-4
Dont know this kind of things and if it fulfill your requirements.

Thank You for the reply Mkala,

After some more searching on the internet I found the 3D Motorsports web site, myself.

They advertise a dry 2 disc clutch for 3/4" engine shafts up to 20 hp and 25 ftlb torque. I would like a larger imput shaft size 1" or 11/8". I could work with an intermediate jack shaft to use the clutch on. I inquired if they could beef up the clutch for larger engines under 30 hp. Waiting to hear back from them. They show the clutch working on a 212cc Predator engine (Honda Clone from Harbor Freight) 6.5hp. Their 3/4" clutch runs $190 to $250.

Thanks Again,
Bilboy

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There were lots of motorcycles that ran dry clutches and motorcycle clutches of the 20's to 80's ran on a 2" dia hub with a taper to fit the gearbox mainshfts.
Lots of old WM20's around with a clutch conversion to thrust race & over center lever.
To convert a motorcycle wet clutch to a dry one you simply strip the rubber off the driven plates & glue cork sheeting onto them.

Do you need the unit to be concentric with the end of the PTO shaft ?
Almost any small car clutch can be modified to fit.
The Triumph/BSA 3 cylinder engines ran a modified BMC Minni clutch.

If it is not a commercial secret what exactly are you trying to power.
Ransoms made some very large roller mowers still using a cork clutch.
We use them on cricket pitches down here.