Man I cant figure this Craftsman out!

Kangel55

Threads
Never read a schematic in my life, but I really hate to put you through that. 3pages...holy molly. I have the book showing schematic though.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
No dramas, we will just take things in little steps
Starting with making sure we are singing from the same song book.
This is the diagram I have View attachment 917.273011 wiring.pdf
Is it the same as yours ?
The next page is a loom diagram which shows you sort of where all the bits in the circuit diagram are plugged in & placed on the mower.

Kangel55

Threads
No its different. I have model 917.273020

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If we are going to get along together you need to do as asked and check the wiring diagrams are the same not just tell me the numbers are different.
AFAIK the wiring is the same as the looms on the 2 are identical right down to the index numbers.
A lot of mowers have identical looms.
So now to work.
1) download and print out the wiring diagram I posted.As we work through the electrics you can mark off what you found, it is a lot easier that way.
2) get some crimp on spade terminal and a few feet of wire which will be used to jump the plugs the switches plug into.
3) now describe exactly what happens when you turn the key on.
What you see , feel and what you hear.

dfbroxy

Threads
bertsmobile1, please remind him to check for rats nests before he runs the mower and overheats the engine. It would be ashamed to pay for all those switches and then blow a headgasket or worse.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
bertsmobile1, please remind him to check for rats nests before he runs the mower and overheats the engine. It would be ashamed to pay for all those switches and then blow a headgasket or worse.

You have just done it.
It is a forum. Every one is equal on here.
No one is or should be taken at a higher level than any one else
We are just electrons wafting about in cyber space.

Kangel55

Threads

The motor runs fine.

Kangel55

Threads
If we are going to get along together you need to do as asked and check the wiring diagrams are the same not just tell me the numbers are different.
AFAIK the wiring is the same as the looms on the 2 are identical right down to the index numbers.
A lot of mowers have identical looms.
So now to work.
1) download and print out the wiring diagram I posted.As we work through the electrics you can mark off what you found, it is a lot easier that way.
2) get some crimp on spade terminal and a few feet of wire which will be used to jump the plugs the switches plug into.
3) now describe exactly what happens when you turn the key on.
What you see , feel and what you hear.

I didnt just look at the numbers, I have the print in owners manual and they visually do not look the same.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Well post it because all I could find for your mower was the loom layout in the parts book on the Craftsman web site.
And it was identical to the one that I have here for the 917.273011.