Making sure I'm looking at this right.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Craftsman 917.289223 rider

This auto trans handle connects under the seat to a lever mechanism, that has a bar that goes from frame to frame. It slides out of the hole because what ever is holding it, is missing.

The reason I'm asking, because the parts diagram I'm looking at, doesn't show one on both sides. And only shows one on one side. Which, imo would mean it could still come out too easily.
I'm thinking it's part 166. Part number
Nut.Push.625
Part Number: 532429164

20191202_171601.jpg20191202_171722.jpg

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
You are correct about the push cap. Seems like this exact discussion came up a few months ago using the same part because of the same issue. There may be a washer welded to the rod on the other side of the bracket that prevents the rod from moving too far in that direction causing the other end to come out, so you just need one washer to hold it in place.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
You are correct about the push cap. Seems like this exact discussion came up a few months ago using the same part because of the same issue. There may be a washer welded to the rod on the other side of the bracket that prevents the rod from moving too far in that direction causing the other end to come out, so you just need one washer to hold it in place.

Thanks for confirming this. I can see now how it can only really go one way. Just seems weird they wouldn't put a little something extra on the other side, just to keep it more secure than one "nut", which isn't really a nut. It's more of a tight fitting washer.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I got one off another mower and it worked great for about 30 minutes. Then it came off. Luckily I found it.
I put it back on and put some adhesive around it. (After cleaning it.)
I'm guessing it'll pop off again. No way of drilling it out and putting a pin through it, without taking it all apart.

tom3

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a whole bag assortment on Ebay for a couple dollars, come in pretty handy for lots of stuff. Or you can grind a flat spot on the rod, drill it, put in a cotter pin and a couple washers (as needed) to secure it better.

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Get a whole bag assortment on Ebay for a couple dollars, come in pretty handy for lots of stuff. Or you can grind a flat spot on the rod, drill it, put in a cotter pin and a couple washers (as needed) to secure it better.

I'm gonna do something like that if this doesn't work. It's so close to the frame, I can't really get drill in there. So, I'll have to take it all apart if I do this.