Making it easier to start mower?

QUOTE:

I am 13 and am mowing lawns in my neighborhood to earn money this summer. But our mower is REALLY hard for me to get started. It is SO annoying!! My brother (he is 16) can get it started in like 3-5 pulls, but I sometimes pull the rope thingy 25 times -- and it still won't start!!!

*********************************************************************
So when your brother starts it he has very little trouble and I'm assuming it runs well after starting. 3-5 pulls to start cold is common. This isn't a Honda with the first pull guarantee.:biggrin:

This makes me think you possibly aren't getting the ( step 2 in starting instructions ) blade control pulled down against the handle far enough. Try temporarily clamping the blade control to the handle or it can be tied down tight with a rope and Clove Hitch Knot if you don't mind looking in a Boy Scout book :rolleyes: or the more more modern way ( google ) and learning how to do that. It's a simple knot to tie, comes loose easily and you'll use it the remainder of your life once you learn how.
 
I always have the handle held down because my brother always says to make sure of that. (I always check the gas too.) A lot of times it comes close to starting but doesn't catch. Once it catches it runs ok unless it gets bogged down in grass. If it stops after getting bogged down it is really hard to start.
 
I always have the handle held down because my brother always says to make sure of that. (I always check the gas too.) A lot of times it comes close to starting but doesn't catch. Once it catches it runs ok unless it gets bogged down in grass. If it stops after getting bogged down it is really hard to start.
***************************************************************
When it comes close to starting but doesn't catch try pushing the primer bulb a couple more times.
 
With a torn rotator cuff I kind of have the same problem with the push mower.

So I either start it over the driveway where the blades don't engage the grass or push down on the bar to lift the front wheels up when it's warmed up. For me it makes a big difference starting if the blades don't engage the tall grass...see if it helps for you.
 
Yeah,I generally always tilt a push mower to lift the blades when I start them also. Besides getting it off grass it also helps lower the handle to a level where you can pull with more torque if it is mounted on the handlebar.
Also,there is no need 90% of the time to put a new plug in.
Unless the engine is running too lean the copper electrode won't corrode much with the low voltage ignition on these.
Just clean em off and sandpaper the electrode and ground strap,reset gap if needed. unless the tip looks melted or you see a crack in the ceremic part it's likely still good in my experience.
 
When you start the mower make sure its not on the grass. If its cold after you pump the primer tilt the lawn mower toward the spark plug.

If your carb is the type that attaches directly to the gas tank(auto choke) then. Take the air filter off and check to see if the choke is closed all the way. It could be a choke problem.
 
Back
Top