Make Mower Go Faster

isiman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an older John Deere l118, I think it's from 2008. I took off the mower deck and I want to make it faster so I can drive around my yard for fun since we do not mow our own lawn anymore. I bought a 4 1/2" pulley and removed the stock one on the crankshaft and replaced it. It did go faster, but it was only a little noticeable. So I went on Amazon and bought a 6" pulley. Since I put the 6" pulley on the crankshaft I needed a larger belt since it is much larger than the stock pulley so I cant use the stock belt. I went to Tractor Supply and got a 1/2" x 92" v belt and the mower drove and it goes much faster when I set the rpm to the middle of what I can set it to, but if I open it up and set the rpm lever to the highest (rabbit) setting it doesn't go faster if anything it goes a little slower than what it was doing in the middle rpm range. Any thoughts as to why it won't go any faster? Is it the hydrostatic transmission that's limiting me, is the belt too tight or not the right size or something?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a definate speed limit to how fast a hydro can turn and you have now taken it well & truely beyond it's linits and most likely done significant damage to it while you were there.

There is a good reason why racing mowers use old Peerless manual boxes

Born2Mow

Threads
^ This ^ and/or the friction of "going fast" has exceeded the power transmission capability of the common V-belt. In their proper power range V-belts rarely slip, but there is a limit. This is when you need roller chain and sprockets, or "toothed belts". But even these have their limits.

If the power transmission of the V-belt was unlimited, then the Space Shuttle would probably look much different !! ?

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
^ This ^ and/or the friction of "going fast" has exceeded the power transmission capability of the common V-belt. In their proper power range V-belts rarely slip, but there is a limit. This is when you need roller chain and sprockets, or "toothed belts". But even these have their limits.

If the power transmission of the V-belt was unlimited, then the Space Shuttle would probably look much different !! ?
"Houston, we threw a belt"

isiman1

Forum Newbie
Threads
There is a definate speed limit to how fast a hydro can turn and you have now taken it well & truely beyond it's linits and most likely done significant damage to it while you were there.

There is a good reason why racing mowers use old Peerless manual boxes
Is there a specific geared transmission I can buy to replace my hydro with which will be able to run faster.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Try a Turbo 350 or Turbo 400. Those are three speeds..... Don't get mad when you get pulled over on the Autobahn for speeding.

slomo

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The mounting points for just about all rear axels are universal
But you will have to tweak the controls and probably need to make a conneting rod for the brake + a front stabilizig bracket for the tranny to stop it tilting.
Lots of old manual boxes out there in junk yards.
Just remember they are all constant mesh boxes with internal shift keys so you can not shift while the mower is moving.