Major damage done- is my mower worth fixing, people?

So what exactly was damaged? You can drop the shaft out by just removing the pulley on top and tapping the haft and bearings out of the housing, but if you don't have access to an impact wrench, you may need to rebolt the mandrel back to the deck and use a breaker bar.

Ohhh, I get it now. yeah, I understand, but sheesh- no way I could have gotten that pulley off while attached to deck! No wayy. (not that its any easier on the bench....LOL!)
 
I am surprised you got the bolts out without breaking them. Let us know what exactly is torn up, maybe put up a few pics before dark.

LOL!! Right- I didnt explain all the details, but I had to break off the heads!!! Threads were apparently fused inside the threaded body of the assembly. Anyway, could mean that by default I have to buy new unless I drilll/tap/die. Probably too ambitious.......
 
OK, good deal. So that link to that item on e bay should be all I need(assuming I can get pulley off), Briggs?


did u get the nut off it yet if so spray it with penetrating oil put mandrel in vice and tap the shaft till it brakes free :smile:
 
did u get the nut off it yet if so spray it with penetrating oil put mandrel in vice and tap the shaft till it brakes free :smile:

sorry for late reply, brigs, but just to answer your question I ended having a budddy remove it with impact wrench.

UPDATE: got the new assembly, and only thing- the 4 holes are NOT threaded as my original one was. Should I tap them with a tap or simply insert 4 bolts with lock nuts on top?

Big thanks, fellow members!!
 
sorry for late reply, brigs, but just to answer your question I ended having a budddy remove it with impact wrench.

UPDATE: got the new assembly, and only thing- the 4 holes are NOT threaded as my original one was. Should I tap them with a tap or simply insert 4 bolts with lock nuts on top?

Big thanks, fellow members!!

Yes bolts and nuts.
 
You are probably done by now but I would use stainless steel bolts, washers under the bolt head, and stainless lock nuts with nylon inserts. That will help prevent rust and vibrating loose.

rick
 
Back
Top