Magneto and flywheel - clean or just replace? Timing issues?

Ronlori

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Magneto and flywheel - clean or just replace? Timing issues?
I have found that service dealers usually are parts changers !
Good techs can spot the problem and fix with minimum cost . ( find them during conversation )
Have not yet found tech that can identify/fix my mantis -no spark-situation ,all new parts and following all the good suggestions herein. Frustrating as I have done many of these before .
Hoping to find help !!!
I am -HVAC tech engineer 70 yrs experience .

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Let ask here did you have a thread here that I can go thru to what actually got done in reference to the Mantis?

And you right about dealers having what now a days to be just part changers. Many us older experience techs just can't get because the owners are afraid of us. That what I ran into back in 2006 when I had 16 yrs of experience working on equipment. This actually some the potential employers said that I had too much experience.

I spent three year job hunting before I finally decide to start my own business then I young punks coming telling me they knew everything. They all fail simple troubleshooting of problems in my shop. Most didn't have the faintest idea how troubleshoot wiring problems yet alone rebuild a carburetor or a deck spindle.

Hammermechanicman

Lawn Addict
Threads
This may sound like a dumb question. Are we sure that the dealer that is doing the service is using the correct air filter. Briggs has two air filters that are almost identical to each other, but slightly different height, and different filtering media. If you install the wrong air filter it will do what your mower is doing within a few hours of replacing the air filter.

make sure you have the 692519 air filter and not the 694018. The other thing to check is make sure it has the RC14YC or equivalent spark plugs, and not the RC12YC, because they will cause the same thing. Rich running. no power.

I thought the vanguards call for the RC12YC plug. I have put well over a hundred of them in with no issues.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
I kinda by internal SKUs lookup. And the 491055S supersedes to 84007216 which listed as RC12YC.
1668104671912.png

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I thought the vanguards call for the RC12YC plug. I have put well over a hundred of them in with no issues.
Current recommendation is the RC12YC with the RC14YC being listed as a platinum long life aka hot plug. Years ago the Champion spark plug catalog listed the RC14YC for the Vanguard engines. Had more than one Vanguard that had brand new less than 10 minutes run time on RC12YC blowing black smoke and heavy carbon fouled plugs, that would immediately run straight when switched to the RC14YC.