M-ZT 52 Review

RatRacer

Threads
All you need to do to figure the amperage is take the watts and divide by volts, if they are 55 watts lights each they will pull about 4.6 amps.

Initial turn on draw will exceed that, the 4.6A is the constant load. Times the constant by 1.5 for start load.

Hey man...thanks for that info. My dad was an electrician, but I had a bad experience with an electric worm rod when I was a kid and swore I'd never mess with the stuff. So I'm pretty "electrical-challenged" and had no idea the calculation was that easy. That's what I like about these forums....lots of folks here that are willing to teach me new things!!! So, I'm thinking that the 10amp in-line fuse on this light kit should be fine to protect my ZTR's electrical system.....right???

Ok, that's cool then. That little tidbit of info was left out of your kit description. 20yrs in electric supply makes me think about that stuff.

tom-ky

Threads
Hey man...thanks for that info. My dad was an electrician, but I had a bad experience with an electric worm rod when I was a kid and swore I'd never mess with the stuff. So I'm pretty "electrical-challenged" and had no idea the calculation was that easy. That's what I like about these forums....lots of folks here that are willing to teach me new things!!! So, I'm thinking that the 10amp in-line fuse on this light kit should be fine to protect my ZTR's electrical system.....right???
I would run a 15 amp fuse.

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would run a 15 amp fuse.

Yep, after doing the math following user RatRacer's added "start-up" info it comes out to about a 13.5amp load when they are turned on. A 15amp fuse may be the appropriate protection and prevent blowing the 10amp fuses regularly(although the 10-12 times I've used the lights parking the ZTR after cleaning it hasn't posed a problem when I flipped the switch). Thanks guys for helping me make sure I don't inadvertantly tear up my new ZTR!!!!!

MrMatt68

Forum Newbie
Threads
Well I picked up my mower at the nc line today instead of it being delivered to my house as we had discussed before I signed papers. I was a little frustrated having to drive 170 miles round trip before work but for 1000.00 less than buying local I agreed to meet them. Anyway I managed to get off it the trailer and commence to training on this beast and after running over a yoshino cherry tree and a small stand of zebra grass I finally got the hang of it and absolutely love this thing and would recommend it. It's fun to cut grass after all as some of you have already stated.

Thanks again for all the information.

Last edited:
Threads
Well I picked up my mower at the nc line today instead of it being delivered
To my house as we had discussed before I signed papers. A little frustrated
Having to drive 170 miles round trip before work but for 1000.00 less than
Buying local I agreed to meet them. Anyway I managed to get off trailer and
Commence to traing on this beast and after running over a yoshino cherry tree
And a small stand of zebra grass I finally got the hang of it and absolutely love
This thing and would recommend it. It's fun to cut grass after all as some of you
Have already stated.

Congrats! :thumbsup::thumbsup: we want pictures.gif

djdicetn

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well I picked up my mower at the nc line today instead of it being delivered to my house as we had discussed before I signed papers. I was a little frustrated having to drive 170 miles round trip before work but for 1000.00 less than buying local I agreed to meet them. Anyway I managed to get off it the trailer and commence to training on this beast and after running over a yoshino cherry tree and a small stand of zebra grass I finally got the hang of it and absolutely love this thing and would recommend it. It's fun to cut grass after all as some of you have already stated.

Yeah, take it kinda slow until you get the feel for the way ZTR's handle..........my maiden voyage took out my wife's 200lb wishing well:0)
If I hadn't bought a Commercial grade machine it would have been bad news for a 15 minute ZTR owner:0(

RatRacer

Threads

Congrats Matt!

Sounds par for the course on their service. Yeah, there is an immense savings and they know it. So its like they oblige themselves on delivery services fraught with shoddiness and inconvenience.

MrMatt68

Forum Newbie
Threads
This evening I found a wasp nest and yellow jacket nest! I guess I was venturing to far away from the house but it sure is fun cutting the tall stuff. Also I found a pile of hay bale strings so tomorrow I have to raise mower and cut those off....luckily they didn't lock up any of the blades!

Matt

Cadmium

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I am interested in hearing some opinions on how those with the M-ZT 52 believe that it handles thicker grass. I am in the market for zero turn and have a little over an acre to mow. The grass tends to stay pretty thick in a few places and I was hoping some that have the mower would be able to chime in on how the deck handles larger amounts of grass and if it does a pretty good job at dispersing the clippings over a large area?

I have seriously considered a John Deere z915b full commercial unit but I feel 7k is a bit too much to spend for only having about an acre to mow and if I can get away with a 5k dollar machine Id much prefer it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

RatRacer

Threads
So I am interested in hearing some opinions on how those with the M-ZT 52 believe that it handles thicker grass. I am in the market for zero turn and have a little over an acre to mow. The grass tends to stay pretty thick in a few places and I was hoping some that have the mower would be able to chime in on how the deck handles larger amounts of grass and if it does a pretty good job at dispersing the clippings over a large area?

I have seriously considered a John Deere z915b full commercial unit but I feel 7k is a bit too much to spend for only having about an acre to mow and if I can get away with a 5k dollar machine Id much prefer it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Welcome to LMF Cadmium.

This thing plows through thick broad bladed grass. My lawn is Floritam, a hybrid of St. Augustine centipede type grass, but more drought tolerant. There was slight engine bog in the really dense areas where the soil is imported fill over the local grey sand. I cut to 3.75in, and the grass was a touch over 6in, with an open chute. I would have double cut that with my 17hp Deere, or if this had a mulch kit. The B&S is not a torque monster like a Kawi, but it does a decent job and runs smooth so far. If the grass was taller, I would just take a smaller bite. With 10 mph at your disposal with the ZT-3400's, you'll still get done a lot quicker. It does throw some clumps in the dense areas, but an extra pass disperses them nicely. Nothing cut comes out looking like its ready to be baled, just a fine confetti type cut.