LX255 transmission question

arch252

Threads
I picked up an LX255 with problems. I got it running and it goes forward fine and very fast in reverse. The problem is the abrupt stop. When you are going forward and let off the forward pedal it stops....immediately...on a dime. Not in a good "I like a mower that stops quickly" kind of way. More in a throw you over the steering wheel onto the hood kind of way. Same in reverse, when going full speed in reverse if you let off the pedal completely it will stop so abruptly that it literally lifts the front wheels off the ground (not joking). Any ideas what the issue might be?

BBO

Threads
... The problem is the abrupt stop. When you are going forward and let off the forward pedal it stops....immediately...on a dime. ... Any ideas what the issue might be?

I would take that shock absorber connected to the linkage. It's purpose is smooth stops.
This photo is a n LX188 but I think yours is similar.
Take it off and see if it has any resistance.
These are pricey from JD. It's the part with the ribbed boot.
I think they work similar to a shock on a car, with some resistance as the mechanism centers back to the stopped position.
Old_X-Mission_LX188-2_C800_10-18-2013 002.jpg

arch252

Threads
Great idea, I have two LX255's, my personal one and this one that I'm fixing up so I can take mine of and swap it out to see if that's the problem. I'll do that this evening and let you know if that solves the problem. Thanks again

arch252

Threads
Great call BBO, the C clip had come off and the absorber was hanging free, I reconnected it...problem solved! Thanks!!

BBO

Threads
Great call BBO, the C clip had come off and the absorber was hanging free, I reconnected it...problem solved! Thanks!!

That little shock is a unique & strange thing.
The boots need to be cleaned and checked to keep out moisture & dust out of the little rod inside.
Wire ties or duct tape is necessary for some loose boots.
And they cost way more than any regular automobile shock.

They just offer a small amount of resistance as as you push the fwd or rev pedal.
Then when you release either pedal it provides resistance to let the linkage settle calmly back to center.