LX188 starts but will only idle for a second.

Not_Mech_Inclined

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello, new member here. I have a LX188 that a 1997 or 1998 model (I think), we bought it new and used it for many years. Last year it was having some problems bogging down when you engaged the blades, after many new parts we decided to just get a new mower. I started messing with again it a couple of weeks ago. It will start up but will only idle for a couple of seconds. If you spray starting fluid in the carb it will run as long as you spray. I have new plugs and good spark. It is getting fuel to the carb. I'm stuck! There is a thing on the carb bowl that has a wire to it, what is this and could it be my problem? I'm thinking its got to be something simple since I have spark and fuel.

Any help greatly appreciated.

BBO

Threads
There is a thing on the carb bowl that has a wire to it, what is this and could it be my problem?

I suppose you are talking about the fuel solenoid. I suspect you need to have the carb cleaned and/or rebuilt.
Plus you may have deck problems.

Not_Mech_Inclined

Forum Newbie
Threads
Took off the bowl and sprayed carb cleaner in as much as I could. Is the carb hard to take off? The radiator and shroud have to be removed?
Thanks for the reply.

BBO

Threads
Took off the bowl and sprayed carb cleaner in as much as I could. Is the carb hard to take off? The radiator and shroud have to be removed?

No the shroud stays in place. The fuel line, throttle cable. Below the shroud is some spacers; don't lose them.
Be careful with the 2 bolts that hold the governor bracket on (10mm socket); don't tighten them too much or you will break the intake manifold and this is expensive.
I just replaced on where some nutcase had put the wrong kind of screws in there and broke off the aluminum stud.

The other nuts behind the heat shield that you took off come loose and the carb assy slids off towards the front IIRC.

You will need to disconnect the governor assembly. One down at the bottom is hard to get to I think.
You will likely need some new gaskets plus any parts or kit you get for the carburetor.
That bowl gasket is a large o-ring I think.

The LX188 had 3 different carburetors. You will need to determine which one you have to order parts.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
In my opinion, I would remove the carb and have it either given a carb bath or have it ultrasonically cleaned. Then have it rebuilt with new jets, seats and needles.

Not_Mech_Inclined

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks BBO and Rivets. I will attempt to take it off and clean/rebuild. Not much of a mechanic but I have rebuilt carbs on old 2 stroke dirt bikes so maybe I won't screw it up too much.
One more question tho. What are the proper settings for the jets I will have to take out? Like how many turns out?
Thanks again for your help.

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Post your engine model numbers and I'll find you a service manual and part numbers you'll need.

Not_Mech_Inclined

Forum Newbie
Threads
Engine model number is FR501V063646

also has code number FD501V-CS00

Thanks for your help.

BBO

Threads
Here it is.

Thanks for that link!

I did not have this and it looks like I may need it soon. I have 2) LX188 mowers and I am looking at another one.