LX188 leaking fuel out of carburetor

Oliver 77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Do you think that a carburetor purchased from a John Deere dealer is not made in China?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Yes but they, like the ones from a REAL MOWER shop have a warranty so if they don't work you get a refund or exchange
Around 1/3 of what is bought cheap from Amazeazone & Evilpay were bought as scrap metal then sold to cheapskates as "oem" or "fits".
However nowhere do the adds say they work.

Oliver 77

Forum Newbie
Threads
The first replacement carb worked all last year mowing about 8 hours a week. Then started it late in the fall and fuel poured out the overflow. Seems like I should be able to find something wrong.

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
have you replaced the fuel lines and cleaned out the tank?
it could be trash from fuel lines internally falling apart, or trash in the tank getting stuck where the needle seats and letting it stay open some.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
+1 on what Scrubbie said .
Not meaning to be agro , but it will sound that way
How the hell do you expect people on a forum, who have nothing to use to diagnose your problems to that if you only tell them 10% of the story ?
There is a massive difference between "this is the second time I have replaced the carb for flooding over the past 2 years " and "I have replaced the carb twice"
Both of course are factually correct but they tell a totally different story.

So knowing that the diagnosis would be trash as per scrubbies post and the fix is to remove the fuel tank & clean it , then replace the fuel lines with new ones & while you are there fit a button style Briggs fuel filter at one end of the fuel line .
Cut open your old fuel line to see if it is crumbeling or gone jelly inside.
Also have a close look at your fuel can as a source of contamination.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
And people wondering why I am so nitpicking about having all the equipment numbers. With all the replacements of various parts it can be a small wonder if we even get any thing 100% right. IF oem carburetor it came with a soft seal float needle valve which can be even more prone to trash holding it at a point of seepage.

Oliver 77

Forum Newbie
Threads
Tank and fuel lines are clean and in good shape. There is a filter between the tank and the fuel pump, and the line between the pump and carb was replaced when the problem first surfaced. I've had the float bowl off several times and haven't found any crud in it.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
the bowl does not stop the fuel, the needle & seat do
Only a few reasons why this happens
Crud preventing it forming a seal.
Wear preventing it forming a seal
Float not pushing hard enough or far enough.
Float problems can be leaks, bad manufacturing, deposit build up, friction at the pivot, gasket fouling .

Scrubcadet10

Staff member
Threads
And people wondering why I am so nitpicking about having all the equipment numbers. With all the replacements of various parts it can be a small wonder if we even get any thing 100% right. IF oem carburetor it came with a soft seal float needle valve which can be even more prone to trash holding it at a point of seepage.
oh come on, you should know what it is, it's painted black and says it's 6HP with OHV's....;)

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Top Poster Of Month
Threads
Okay it the one with hand brush on paint job. I got it. <LOL> Now back to task at hand. Awaiting OP findings.