Lx178 mowing issues

Ktmguy23

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have an lx178 that doesn't cut very evenly. The best way I can describe it that path the mower makes is domed (higher in the center). I have replaced the blades and nothing else appears to be out of place. Any ideas?

grelcar

Forum Newbie
Threads
Is the deck level when mowing? Which deck do you have?

mac

Threads
I have an lx178 that doesn't cut very evenly. The best way I can describe it that path the mower makes is domed (higher in the center). I have replaced the blades and nothing else appears to be out of place. Any ideas?

It sounds like your deck is bent. Check the distance from the blade to the ground on both ends of both blades. One or both are probably different from the outer end to the inner end of the blade or blades.

Pent-R lawn

Threads
I have a LX277 that might be similar to the (LX)278. It sounds like you might have the center blade higher than the outers. Put it on a level (preferably concrete or asphalt) surface and measure the height on the center of the blades. If the center blade is higher; try a washer or something between the blade and bushing on the shaft. Just see if it works. If it does I would get a new bushing. Also try to measure the sides of the deck as the deck might be bent. If this doesn't work call your John Deere dealer.

mac

Threads
That's all well and good on a 3 bladed deck, but the LX178 has a 2 blade 38" deck. I know because I have one.

BBO

Threads
I have an lx178 that doesn't cut very evenly. I have replaced the blades and nothing else appears to be out of place. Any ideas?

If you installed new blades then the deck almost has to need leveling. The hangers/linkage could be bent or out of adjustment.
I would think the deck is too high in the front for whatever reason.
What height number are you using to mow?

Take the deck off and with it upside down check all the blades but unless something is really screwed up with the spindle(s) it almost had to be the deck hanger(s).
Does the height adjustment and lift all work normal? Smooth/easy/both sides equal?

The seat/shell is easy to remove and then you can better see the linkages and what they do...

The LX178 was made with 48", 44" or the 2 blade 38" like mac has.
Looking at the grass, how high do you think the hump is? 1/4"?, 1"?

This is indeed more strange if you have only two blades.

mac

Threads
The LX178 comes with a 38" deck. The lx188 has a 48" deck and I've never heard of a 44" deck for the LX series of mower. The deck get bent from either hitting something, or standing on the deck as you mount or dismount the mower.