LX176. Gutting out wiring ?

BBO

Threads
That nylon connector plug looks exactly like the one that caused problems on my craftsman dyt 4000. I finally just cracked it open with pliers to look at the pins/sockets which were badly corroded. IMO the corrosion was dropping voltage (resistance) so I finally hard wired.

I replaced the complete plug, but it does require a a special crimping tool.

On the LX188 the plug carries the AC from the stator to the regulator on to the battery.
This may not be the problem he has with the mower not firing, but wiring connectors in general can sure cause problems.
Good engine ground issues are sometimes hard to locate.

I think I can check coils with an ohm meter, but some mechanics argue it's not reliable.
They say that when he coils get hot they loose spark even if they work after cooling off.
I do know that the plug wire cap can also be the problem, especially where it screws up onto the wire.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
The little connector pins that are crimped on to mate with the sockets are very delicate and you do not have to crimp if you have a light touch with a solder iron. A light touch because the connector cavities will not allow big solder blobs to enter . And you are not restricted to the factor connector. Any 4 pin snap- apart connector will work as long as it will accept the wire gage and there is room for a larger conn body. In a pinch I have used the trailer brake/signal units available at auto parts stores (bubble pak). My Intek repair was just to solder the wires up and use shrink sleeving , or insulation tape if done carefully. Yes, I must cut if I replace the volt regulator-not worried.:thumbsup:

delwaysta

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have ohm'd out 2 igniters one gave a reading of 1.348kohm and the other one no readings. I assume the one with the reading is good correct. Have 2 coils to test next

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
I don't know what an igniter is, but if your coil(s) are what I think, ohm readings have no meaning. Inside the epoxy body of a typical coil is a an electronic circuit containing wiring (small circuit board) with electronic components (think transistor radio ). You only have access to an output lead and the pickup shoe (s) on the outside so VOM readings have no value. Sorry, IMO.

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
I don't know what an igniter is, but if your coil(s) are what I think, ohm readings have no meaning. Inside the epoxy body of a typical coil is a an electronic circuit containing wiring (small circuit board) with electronic components (think transistor radio ). You only have access to an output lead and the pickup shoe (s) on the outside so VOM readings have no value. Sorry, IMO.

I am assuming what the OP is talking about here as the igniter is the timing module. The LX176 John Deere has a Kawasaki FC420V engine which has a single coil with the primary coil wire that go's to the timing module which is located into ignition switch on that model John Deere. Some of the older JD Kawasaki's the timing module was located on the side of the engine block.

motoman

Lawn Addict
Threads
Well, sorry any confusion I made. I am only familiar with the magneto coil on the Intek which uses encapsulated electronics. Perhaps this case is a more conventional , old school auto type coil with primary and seconday windings which can be checked for opens and continuity with an ohm function. The trigger on these ( I think) are points or transistors which can be separate . The transistor pickup can also fail and cannot be checked via ohm reading. Glad to have professional help.