LT1042: swallowed up hammock strap, PTO won't engage

Michael_WI_Greenfield

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / LT1042: swallowed up hammock strap, PTO won't engage
Hope you get a good laugh out of this 😁. Thank you kindly in advance for any suggestions.

I thought my lawn was clear, I have no idea where the stray hammock strap came from but here we are.
  • I turned off the lawnmower as soon as I knew something was wrong, and I thoroughly removed the strap which had become tightly coiled around the spindle and blade assembly.
  • Lawnmower starts up, runs and moves fine, no issues, weird noises or smoking, but now when I pull the PTO knob to engage, absolutely nothing happens.
  • Courage19 engine. 180 hours.
Ideas?

TYSM!

Bertrrr

Threads
Your P TO wires probably got dislodged , if not there's most probably a fuse could be blown , put a test light on the PTO wires at the clutch and engage the clutch - doesn't have to be running you should see the light come on if not work back towards the switch / fuse etc. - there is also a safety for the clutch operation.

Michael_WI_Greenfield

Forum Newbie
Threads
@Bertrrr and @Rivets, thanks!! It appears the PTO wires just got dislodged, when I fiddled with them the PTO now will engage, but then stops after a little bit of tractoring. I noticed some electrical tape was around the PTO wiring plug, and some had come loose, so I'm going to apply some more and hope that does the trick.

Tiger Small Engine

Threads
@Bertrrr and @Rivets, thanks!! It appears the PTO wires just got dislodged, when I fiddled with them the PTO now will engage, but then stops after a little bit of tractoring. I noticed some electrical tape was around the PTO wiring plug, and some had come loose, so I'm going to apply some more and hope that does the trick.
Pull the tape on PTO wires and make sure you have hood solid connections. Not two wires twisted together with electrical tape. Soldered wires or crimped butt connectors.

Bertrrr

Threads
I think there's a " pigtail" connection available with the OEM connector but I've used a couple of female spade connectors before with good results

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
Pull the tape on PTO wires and make sure you have hood solid connections. Not two wires twisted together with electrical tape. Soldered wires or crimped butt connectors.
More like crimp and seal connectors and that shrink wrap with glue in it that oozes out confirming a weather tight seal.

Or solder and shrink wrap with the glue inside. Little Tesa tape and some loom would be nice. Several ways to skin a skunk.

Michael_WI_Greenfield

Forum Newbie
Threads
@slomo @Bertrrr @Tiger Small Engine Thanks!

Is this what you're talking about? Screen Shot 2023-07-10 at 5.11.22 PM.pngThese the connectors to crimp and seal? I was an idiot and unscrewed one completely before screwing it back. This was after the PTO was running again for a few minutes.

It went for the longest it has ever since this problem started, but you could hear it struggling at points and the strength of the PTO going up and down. Then it quit, and I haven't been able to re-engage the PTO.

EDIT: I checked the fuse and it's fine.

slomo

Lawn Addict
Threads
That is "a" connection that could use soldering and shrink wrapped with the glue inside it. It weather seals the heat shrink from the elements. Little black plastic loom and some Tesa Tape. Factory repair all day long.

StarTech

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I think there's a " pigtail" connection available with the OEM connector but I've used a couple of female spade connectors before with good results
Yes there is a commercially available splice plug repair kit.

Stens XMC1003

OR you could use the Rotary 12923 and cut off one end and use some heat shrink butt connectors.