LT1042 deck not engaging

MO_Hacker

Threads
The mower is a CC LT1042 with the Kohler Courage motor, think it is a 2005 model (I bought it new from a implement dealership). It sat for 2 seasons after the bolt holding the pto clutch backed out and let the clutch hit the deck, I finally ordered the clutch and replaced it last spring. It had been running fine other than the cut has always sucked in my opinion from the day I brought it home.

Today I was mowing and about half way through the front yard the blades just stopped, I got off to see if the belt had broken or maybe the clutch had dropped off it again but didn't see anything obvious. When I pull out the PTO handle I can here a switch but the blades aren't engaging.

Any ideas will be appreciated and I know you guys want the model/serial number but it is danged hot here and I didn't go back to the shed after finishing with the push mower. I'll get it later, lol.

mrfred54

Threads
I also have a lt1042. you can put a jumper wire from the battery to the pto wire and if the unit is good it will engage.also check the ground wire for the pto. I had to ground mine a few years ago to make it work and has worked fine since.

MO_Hacker

Threads
Had some time this morning and it wasn't as hot so I went out and pulled the deck off, turns out the tension spring was broken. Ordered a new one and should be back to cutting in a few days.